Garden pond Electrics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a pond at the bottom of my garden (approx. 20m away from house) as it stands i have no power in my garden at all.

I have bought a pump and filter for the pond and i am now pondering the best way to power them.

The pump rating is 25w (unsure of the filter although i believe it does have 1x 5w UV lamp.)

I am going to be running the armoured cable underground at a depth of 400mm with a cable cover over it.

Can anyone tell me what thickness cable i require and the best way to power it as the cable will be running back to the living room wall which has a double socket fitted inside.

All in all i require 2 sockets by the pond for the pump and filter and i want another 1 for low voltage lighting.

If i have overlooked anything please let me know.

Just another thought is there such a thing/way of using an armoured extension cable?? As i could then just plug it into the socket inside.

Sponsored Links
1.5mm armoured cable will be fine If its only lights etc. Fused 5A at the house end. If you plug it into the socket outside, make sure its the type that is still waterproof when the plug is in it!

A more expensive way to do it is with this. http://www.water-garden.co.uk/Power_Management_cables_connectors.php

Note the Part P info on the water-garden site. It applies to both methods.

Your method of getting the cable there is spot on, however it will have to be protected by an RCD. You could fit one to your consumer unit that would cover the whole house, fit one just to cover the circuit from which the socket is fed, or even just fit one where you tap off the socket circuit (might look a little messy).

1.5 should be OK, but for little extra cost you could use 2.5mm.

Another thought is, why not use 4 core then you could use a core for the earth, a neutral, a core for the live feed to the pump/filter and the final core for your lights. That way you could leave your pump and filter on all the time and just turn your lights on when you need them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back