Pond Power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am wanting to have power to my garden pond and wondered which size armoured cable i should use? 1.5mm or 2.5mm?

The pond will use the following

200w for pumps
55w for UV
100w airpumps

I was thinking of running armoured cable from a waterproof pond switch box to a 13amp plug and RCD?

Does this sound feasible?

The socket is just one of two twin sockets on a radial that comes from a 16A MCB on the main board.

Hope that all makes some kind of sense

Cheers

Lee

Sponsored Links
How are you intending to fit a plug to the SWA?

I could not give qualified advice on the matter as I'm just another DIYr.

However I'd be considering terminating it in a plastic box & have a further short flex come out of that, that will fit within a plug to go into the RCD protected socket. (if it was just basically to be a long extension lead).

Whether that confirms to the regs or not is another matter.

355w/240v = 1.48ish amps, I'm sure that 1.5mm SWA can cope with this, Although I'm also sure that the cable length & what future use it may be put to also has something to do with cable selection.

One of the qualified guys will likely let you know, or look through the forum as this question has been asked before.

Does the 16A MCB have an RCD protecting the radial too?
or are you thinking of using one of the plug in ones?

Sponsored Links
why not get a whatsits name kit from you diy shed, its all done for you.
sorry i have forgotten the name, it may be armadillo. its all done for you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back