wiring a pond pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

I'd like to wire a small pond pump.

This comes with a 3m flex but it is not long enough for it to reach the house.
I am planning to install a junction box near the pond. I'll be connecting the pump flex to armoured cable running to the back of the house.
Here I'll have another j box where I will connect the armoured cable to another length of flex cable. The flex will be then plugged to a standard 13amp socket indoors. All my indoor sockets are RCD protected but I will also use a plug in RCD adaptor at the socket for extra safety.

Now I'd like to know what is the best make available for the parts I need.
Any specific flex I should use? I'll be drilling one hole in the cavity wall for the flex, do I need to protect this length in conduit?

Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
No need to use an RCD adapter if the socket is already RCD protected. Also make sure you use waterproof boxes not junction boxes to make the connections to the flex, the entry points need to be sound - use glands.

Pumps don't generally use much power, you should be fine with 1.0 or 1.5 mm flex. Make sure you put a 3A fuse in the plug!

SB

3m flex?

either its an indoor pump or an old external one.

if its an internal use pump it will not be up to much.

all new pond pumps have 10m of flex, indoor pumps have 3m

what is the make / model of the pump?

3m flex?

either its an indoor pump or an old external one.

if its an internal use pump it will not be up to much.

all new pond pumps have 10m of flex, indoor pumps have 3m

what is the make / model of the pump?

breezer,

it is an hazelock titan 5500 pump left by previous owner.
The flex has been connected to armoured cable near the pond.
I could use this pump but i won't be requiring filters as I will not be keeping koi fish. I'll keep the small waterfall.
Is this pump too big for that?

sparkybird,

I thought that by using the extra rcd adaptor in the plug i would have an extra layer of safety. In theory the circuit RCD could fail.

Sponsored Links
The pump you have is a high flow. low pressure pump, its main purpose is for filters and waterfalls. so no, it will be fine. (just dont try and put a fountain nozzle on it.

Oh have you a pond filter? and if so does it have a uv?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back