Electrics to Pond Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The pump/fountain in my pond stopped working around a year ago and has layed dormant at the bottom of the pond until recently. The pump was a bit inefficient any way so I've bought a new snazzier and more powerful pump.

The flex to the existing pump is buried under paving slabs between the pond and the house , but comes up from the ground next to the house and through the wall to an RCD and switch - so I used to be able to turn on the pond fountain from inside the house.

I want to use the new pump but keep as much of the existing cabling in place (especially internal wiring with the RCD). My plan is to therefore cut the existing pump flex on the external wall, put on a weatherproof junction box (with glands) and connect it to the new pump which I will then run along a wall, between a couple of slabs and then up into the pond (the pond a raised wall type)

I have a couple of questions:

1)The internal switch has a 13amp fuse in, I read somewhere on this forum that a 3amp fuse should be used. Any one agree with this & why that is?

2) How do I actually connect the old flex to the new flex within the weatherproof junction box, is there just a standard connector type box which I use?

3) Will the pump flex along the wall & between the slabs be okay/any better than the pump flex which currently runs underground?

Thanks very much - any help/advise will be very much appreciated.

Jeanette

Sponsored Links
Hi - after a little bit of research, it seems I can make the connection between the old flex and new flex by using an underwater cable connector from Oase. So I can actually do it at the pond, which would be much easier and means not disturbing the existing cables at all.

Is this the best option do you think?

Also - can anyone tell me how to test if the RCD is working? A Part P electrician installed it along with the switch a few years back. If I press the test button on the RCD, is this supposed to cut the electricity to the pump? Sorry for probably asking the obvious but I want to make sure the RCD is working.

Thanks,

Jeanette

The Test button should be pressed about every 3 months to check the mechanical operation of the RCD unit. This however will not tell you if the unit is operating within the correct limits, an expensive bit of kit is needed to carry out these test and should be done by a suitably qualified electrician.

Sponsored Links
Do remember Oase is German. Their rules are not the same as UK. Their sockets do not comply with UK regulations as they are reversible. And I would not think they have a Part P regulation so likely will not realise their products may fall foul of our regulations.

I would play safe and get the work done by a registered spark. The way you describe the set-up sounds suspect. I would not bury flex. Better safe than sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back