Pond electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My pond has a pump and a UV lamp. Both run cables to a JB mounted on the wall near to the pond. The supply is flex buried in PVC conduit and enters the house via a hole in the window and into a 13A plug which is into the socket via a RCD plug in.

I want to bring this up to a decent standard, as I realise this is not fantastic in any way.

I propose to run SWA 1.5mm to the JB, clipping it around the garden wall. then steel conduit from JB to pump (as pump wire is sealed into pump). For the UV run a short piece of plastic conduit to carry its cable.

Question 1: When the SWA enters the house (via a hole in the wall, not the window as is), can I fit a spur of the ring main socket and use a surface mount RCD outlet (such as TLC's unit CM4904) or do I have to treat as a garage supply and fit a small consumer unit with isolating switch then RCD and breakers in the garage and run the SWA from there around the house to the pond JB?
Q2: Could I install weatherproof RCD protected sockets instead of the JB and then just have a Fused spur off the ring main then SWA to outside sockets?

I understand about Part P, and I would do most of the work myself (to save money) but then get a registered spark in to do the hook up and certification. I just want to get it right so the spark doesnt condemn it right away. :oops:

Thanks for any advice - foo
:)

Sponsored Links
Is the socket circuit you intend spurring off RCD protected???? If so, NO other RCD protection is required.

Steel conduit is not for DIYers - you need special tools for it. The wire within the pond doesn't need any protection (well, it probably does, but none of the thousands of ponds in this country have got it!)

If you want this to look good, replace that outdoor box with a double weatherproof switch. Then run the SWA from this box back to the house. In the house, fit a Switched fused connection unit or this if you require a RCD spur. You may also want a timer on the circuit.

TLC do next day delivery and it is quality stuff. They also sell SWA and pond accessories

deffinently will NOT want a timer for the pump and uv, they have to run 24 / 7

I also trust this jb is really a weatherproof adapatable box?

breezer said:
deffinently will NOT want a timer for the pump and uv, they have to run 24 / 7
not nessecarily. We turn ours off in winter, they do fine without it. TBH, the main reason we turn it off is the noise from the filter - its outlet pipe is about 18 inches above the surface, so it creates a fair bit of noise! So we dont have it on when its not nessecary. We do have it on all summer, day and night.

Sponsored Links
Thanks crafty

The ring main is not on RCD, so I will fit the RCD spur (CM4904) the same as you recommended. This will protect the SWA to the switches {which I like the look of - thx again}. then from the switch (on wall) to the pond (about 1.5 metres) use a little bit of metal conduit to protect the sealed pump wire - I will wait for the sparks when he is doing the final hook up to run a little bit in for me.

Thanks again to ALL - Crafty, Breezer and BAS - you have a brilliant, informative forum going and no doubt have probably saved a few lives without realising it. Keep up the good work

Foofighter :D

ban-all-sheds said:
What do Koi taste like? Any good for BBQs? ;)

bit expensive though, and i hear they do nottast all that nice, tell you what you buy one, and cook it and let us all know

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back