pond pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has a pond pump that im assuming is faulty because each time it is switched on it trips the downstairs ring. The pump in plugged into a RCD adaptor then into the socket. The question i wanted to ask is why does it trip the ring and not just the RCD adaptor?

Sponsored Links
If the pump has a live > neutral fault it will not trip an RCD.

RCDs monitor for earth faults.

Fuses & MCBs (which I assume is what is tripping) monitor for overloads (including short circuits)

Doh! didn't think of that. Would you say its something to investigate or should i just tell him to replace the pump???

If that is the only thing that is causing the sockets to trip, then I'd say replace the pump.

Sponsored Links
you could plug the pump in eleswher to be sure, but never try to repair a pump cable

most people get them wrong / don't understand what they are / try to fit it too close to the pump.:cry:

I once saw on a well known auction site a pond pump for sale with no cable.

the seller said it can easliy be fitted. absolute BS (it is on the pump he was selling)

I think it is as likely water is getting into the supply somewhere(connectors, switches,etc) rather than the pump itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back