Pond wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm refreshing an old pond install and looking for some advice on best practise for wiring up the pumps and UV filter. I'm qualified in electronics rather than electrical, so although I have a some understanding, I'm no expert in this area.

There are 3 pumps approx 3m distance from the house, and one UV filter approx 4m away. Each item has about 5m of cable on it. it's not armoured, it's just the weatherproof flex the equipment came fitted with.

Obviously I can't simply run this along the ground, I can't bury it because it isn't armoured. I could bury it in conduit, but only if the conduit offers the same protection as armoured (so not 20mm PVC then)

As understand it though I can run this cable above ground inside 20mm PVC conduit. Where nobody is going to stick a fork through it.

So the plan is as soon as the cable exits the pond/filter unit. Straight into 20mm PVC conduit, run it across the ground (at ground level) to the fence, run the conduit along the fence clipping it to the posts and gravel boards. Up the wall of the house and into an IP66 switch unit. This then goes back to a 13A plug in the house. The house wiring has a modern CU with earth leakage protection.

Sound reasonable ?

Sponsored Links
This is the switchbox I've got, so 3 pumps and the UV filter all go back to this https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-...door-switched-power-controller-with-led/20964

I did think about running armoured cable underground from the switch box to a junction box by the pond. And then connecting the non armoured cable at that point. Might work, look a bit neater than running conduit up the fenceline. Also I'm not entirely convinced running cable in conduit along the ground from the pond to the fence is great either. Sounds more at risk than if it was buried and out the way.

I'm not sure that switch box would accept SWA cable though. I would imagine it's quite a bit chunkier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back