Man shed wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have recently built a 6M*4M man shed in my back garden for me and my 10 year old son. And I am now at the wiring stage of the shed and have been getting conflicting information as to what is the best method for connecting the power.

4mm armoured cabling is to be run from the house to the shed distance of 25-30 metres.

There will be a ring main and 2 lighting circuits (one inside and one out) I would also like to run a seperate spur for the outside pond.

Plan is to install a garage duel Rcd consumer unit in the shed mainly for ease of turning power on and off.

The question and conflicting info I am getting is to how to connect to main house power source.

1) first electrician say's to connect to main consumer unit
2) 2nd electrician says to install another garage consumer unit next to the main consumer unit?

Which is the better and more preferred method?

Currently we have a 13-Way Dual RCD High Integrity Consumer Unit, supplied by a 100amp fuse. There are currently no free rcd's but it would be easy achieved to double up on a lighting circuit for the loft and upstairs lights to free up a slot in the main board.

There is also already Henley blocks installed so installing a 2nd consumer unit would also be easily achieved.

Would be grateful of any advice

Regards
Mark

Sponsored Links
Connect to main consumer unit, using a plastic enclosure with knock outs to terminate the SWA and earth the glanding kit (which may have been why he suggested another CU, possibly thinking of a metalclad).

However, there's no need to have another one next to the source of distribution.

4mm armoured cabling is to be run from the house to the shed distance of 25-30 metres.
Will that be enough for any possible loads you might have in the shed & garden at any time in the future? Do you like digging trenches? Or will it be running through ducting in case of future changes? Will you be putting in a 2nd duct for comms cables?

There will be a ring main and 2 lighting circuits (one inside and one out) I would also like to run a seperate spur for the outside pond.
Why do you want a ring final in the shed?

Why do you not want the pond on its own circuit?

Plan is to install a garage duel Rcd consumer unit in the shed mainly for ease of turning power on and off.
Why 2 RCDs and not RCBOs?

Neither.

Find an electrician who will use the Henley blocks to supply a switchfuse, and who will do a better job of discussing SWA size and advising on final circuits.

I assume that you are going to have the electrician do the job, not just give you advice?

Connect to main consumer unit
And then any earth faults from there onwards, in the outbuilding, associated with the pond etc, will take out half the house circuits.

Not good.

Keep it off the house CU, and have the RCD protection local to the shed etc.

Sponsored Links
Connect to main consumer unit
And then any earth faults from there onwards, in the outbuilding, associated with the pond etc, will take out half the house circuits.

Not good.

Keep it off the house CU, and have the RCD protection local to the shed etc.

Well, it's as bad as saying to connect an extension to a new CU, simply because any earth faults there will trip the rest of the house out.

I'd say at worst, it could be a nusience, rather than a blanket 'not good'.

Since it's a high integrity board, perhaps space could be found on the non-protected side. An RCBO could be used.

Obviously it could be a pain going into the house if the shed should trip.

Is the whole cable run going to be in SWA?

Not really the same.

There's a higher probability of earth faults on the circuits at the end of the sub-main than ones in an extension, and as well as the nuisance to the people in the house it would also be a nuisance to the people in the shed if they had to go back to the house to reset. And the nuisance to the people in the house could be significant if one rainy night their RCD tripped because of a fault which they needed to turn out to the shed to clear before they could reset it.

Given that there are already service connector blocks in place, it would be pretty easy to put a switchfuse in.

Not really the same.

There's a higher probability of earth faults on the circuits at the end of the sub-main than ones in an extension, and as well as the nuisance to the people in the house it would also be a nuisance to the people in the shed if they had to go back to the house to reset. And the nuisance to the people in the house could be significant if one rainy night their RCD tripped because of a fault which they needed to turn out to the shed to clear before they could reset it.

Given that there are already service connector blocks in place, it would be pretty easy to put a switchfuse in.

Well if there's already a henley block then why not indeed.

Since it's a high integrity board, perhaps space could be found on the non-protected side. An RCBO could be used.

Obviously it could be a pain going into the house if the shed should trip.

Is the whole cable run going to be in SWA?

The whole cable run is going to be SWA partially through a conduit and partially underground. This is what one of the electrician has suggested doing fitting a breaker to the non protective side

Will that be enough for any possible loads you might have in the shed & garden at any time in the future? Do you like digging trenches? Or will it be running through ducting in case of future changes? Will you be putting in a 2nd duct for comms cables?

Unless he is going to start a rock band 4mm should be more than adequat for the distance in question, allowing for a 5% voltage drop a current draw of 32 plus amps should be adequate would be having a 24 amp trip rather than 32 especially if it is going into main consumer unit.

Why do you want a ring final in the shed?

Why do you not want the pond on its own circuit?

expensive filtration system having a separate circuit will reduce the chances of the power being switched of causing the healthy bacteria to die,

Why 2 RCDs and not RCBOs?

sorry should have said it will have a mcb

Neither.

Find an electrician who will use the Henley blocks to supply a switchfuse, and who will do a better job of discussing SWA size and advising on final circuits.

what amperage switch fuse would be concerned of having to high an amperage would rather it tripped easy than not at all if some on managed to damage the SWA.?

I assume that you are going to have the electrician do the job, not just give you advice?

yes, i may be daft but not stupid just trying to figure out what's best, and also don't want to waste money if not neccersary.

Oh i get it, the brass banjo is just compressed against the plastic using the one locknut supplied in the gland pack.
Think in the absence of double nutting it then personally id opt for a metal box or an earthing Nut

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back