garden lighting

I am listening, it's just that I'm desperate to avoid ruining the decoration which was recently done. The main CU is out as this is in the study and means dismantling fixed shelving / desks / wallpaper and not to mention lifting a load of flags (done 12 months ago). A fused spur in the Dining room will also cause problems (though not as much). Basically it looks like I'm stuffed. Before I get shot down, I understand the need for a spur to limit the current as the armoured is probably 2.5mm (not yet checked) but as I'll have to change this anyway as shed is being moved 6ft and I do not think the cable will reach could I not simply run 4mm instead which would be adequate for 32 amps?

Sponsored Links
You can't draw 32A from a single point on the ring, so increasing the cable size to 4mm² wouldn't help.

You have got to put an FCU on the circuit to connect the cable supplying the garage CU.

Why all the fuss? I don't see why you couldn't locate the FCU in the shed before the CU. It's no different to a spur from the ring final to an accessory, other than the fact the cable run is outdoors. As long as R1+R2, volt drop, ELI and RCD protection are all satisfied then I can't see a major problem. It's not how I'd choose to do it, but if you're stuck with it...

with the CU set up he has, he's got a max load of 22A?..
that's allowed..
you can have 1 double socket spured off a point on the ring, and that's a posssible 26A.

PURELY from the point of view of loading on a ring, and unfused spurs from a ring , it's ok..

from the point of view of it being a sub-circuit and feeding a second CU, then it should be back to the board where it should have it's own breaker / fuse in the boards..

Sponsored Links
Looking at Appendix 15, it is perfectly acceptable to fuse the SWA feed in the shed, prior to the CU. Not sure if discrimination is satisfied, though.

If not, then the CU could be replaced by FCU's fusing down from the 13A where the supply comes into the shed.

Although it is better to bury your swa it is not an absolute requirement. You could run it along a series of discreetly positioned posts so that you don't have to take up your new patio.

Unfortunately if I went back to the main CU then where the cable would come through the wall is a path and as I need to run the cable around the outside of the garden I'd have to lift the flags to get to the fence, there's no alternative really. If I ran it along the house wall then I end up at a gate!

obviously you know the layout best and lifting flags is a lot of hard work, but can you not come out of the wall and go up cross the path at 7 feet or so high and then come down a post?

Possibly, but then I'll end up with a 7ft high post stuck in the lawn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back