Extension Advice

Just to add a little more to this, I contacted my local Council with regards to access to the main sewer plan before i commenced my build. The last thing i wanted was to let the JCB driver rip up all the sewers (although he did :( )

I was informed by my local council that no plans of the sewers were ever submitted. This was due to the houses being built post war literally the first few months after the end of the war. He informed me because there was an housing shortage, only plans of the street main sewers were required :confused:

I then spoke to United utilities with regards this and also the fact that the stop cock on the street was seized solid. They sent a guy up who couldn't turn it either, i asked what would happen now, he said i would have to freeze and fit new stop cock on MY property.

I also mentioned the bit about the movement of the sewers and he said i could do whatever i wanted so long it was on my own property and did not do any alteration once the sewers left my property (boundary) and so long as i gave 24 hrs notice to me neighbours of a possible disruption of services.

I ended up cutting the live water main, dressed in waterproofs and installed a new stop cock that was all ready and waiting by my side. It was like capping a gushing oil well :D but i now have a new stopcock fitted right outside my new extension and i nice new drain run in plastic.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back