Extension build Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am helping to build an extension for my father in law and the bricky has asked for a 50mm gap to be cut in the existing house wall, here the new wall will start with wall starter kits.
My query is does this gap need to be cut if it is going to be rendered afterwards?

Sponsored Links
I did that and didn’t cut a gap, for both rendered block and facing brickwork. I know some will say it’s essential but I hardly ever see it done around here nowadays. The wall starters just get bolted on and off you go.
I know cutting a gap is better in theory but the BCOs round here don’t seem to require it, rendered or otherwise.

This should be a question for building control. Some like the cavity continuous. Some like a slot cut all the way through. Some like a slot with DPC inserted.
It probably depends how weathered the wall will be too..

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys I'll call building control and see what they say!
The bricky doesn't know it will be rendered and I didn't want to just cut it and then find out it wasn't necessary as its quite messy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back