Extension cable fixed to wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to forum and looking for some comments / feedback.

I have a small office room at home, with a number of (low power) desktop electrical devices such as laptops, printers, disk drives etc. At present, I have a number of trailing cables plugged into a multi socket vertical tower free standing extension lead.

As an alternative, I was thinking of fixing a couple of surface mount double sockets to the wall at the right locations, and running suitable extension flex to these, either clipped to the skirting board or within plastic trunking. Power to these sockets would be via a 13 amp plug, plugged in to the single existing socket in the room. This would in my mind make the place tidier and reduce the number of trailing cables, and theoretically safer.

Is this acceptable, or would it be considered fixed wiring for regulation purposes? My thinking was that as the extension sockets would be separated from the ring main by the 13 amp plug, this would really be no different to the tower extension cable (except of course the sockets and cables would be fixed to the wall).

I appreciate that I could get a permanent circuit with multiple sockets fitted by an electrician. I was just interested to know if my suggestion would be considered a better solution than my current set-up.

Thanks for any comments.

BK

Sponsored Links
It would be considered a fixed installation.
What you intend to do is spur off a socket outlet.
You can only spur one other socket outlet (this can be a single or double outlet) from this socket providing it has not already had a spur connected to it and is not a spurred socket already.
If you wished to add more than one socket outlet, you would need to use a 13A FCU (fused connection unit).
This would be installed between the existing socket you wish to take your spur from and the additional sockets.
If your current installation has not got RCD protection on this circuit, it will need to be installed either at the fuse box/consumer unit or at the point where the circuit is being added to.

I'd suggest you simply use a multi socket extension lead with the plug fused at 13 amp.

What you intend to do is spur off a socket outlet.
No he doesn't:
Power to these sockets would be via a 13 amp plug, plugged in to the single existing socket in the room.

Is this acceptable, or would it be considered fixed wiring for regulation purposes?
Yes, it's fixed, but that doesn't mean you're not allowed to do it.

Hard wired in, either as part of the ring or via an FCU would be better than plugging in, and dado trunking would be neater than extension leads.

Sponsored Links
If your current installation has not got RCD protection on this circuit, it will need to be installed either at the fuse box/consumer unit or at the point where the circuit is being added to.

If I'm wrong I will gratefully accept a rebuke and some education (I am ready with my thanks), but is it an obligation for these new sockets to be RCD protected if they are not expected to supply outdoor equipment, and the installation is not left less safe than before?

Having said that, I completely accept it would be better with RCD than without.

Hi Guys

Thanks for replying

I didn't want to spur off from the socket myself, I will get an electrician in if it is essential to do that.

I already use a multi socket extension, it's just that the equipment is at various places around the room, and it's a bit untidy with the long trailing cables from each item going to the extension. The idea of using wall mounted sockets was that I could put them near to where the equipment is, reducing the amount of trailing cable.

Would it not be be just like a 4 socket extension (exept that the pairs of sockets would be further apart and fixed to the wall) with a 13 amp plug?
e.g

P-----------XXXX
P--------XX--------XX

This would seem much safer than having a loose trailing socket, and would let me relocate them easily if required. What would be the main objection to doing this?

Thanks again for your input

Cheers, BK

If I'm wrong I will gratefully accept a rebuke and some education (I am ready with my thanks), but is it an obligation for these new sockets to be RCD protected if they are not expected to supply outdoor equipment, and the installation is not left less safe than before?

Having said that, I completely accept it would be better with RCD than without.
Any new socket installation, that includes addition or/and extending of circuits should have the additional protection of a RCD.

I think what you're proposing sounds awful - it's not quite a fixed installation and not quite an extension lead, which just screams out "amateur".

Ideally you should get extra sockets added professionally, otherwise if possible drive a couple of screws into the back of the desks to hold trailing extension leads in place, then the plugs will be off the floor out of the way.

Why does using fixed sockets "scream out amateur" any more than "driving a couple of screws into desks to hold trailing extension leads"? I'm not criticising your comment, I'm just asking for clarification.

As I explained in my post, the equipment is in different locations in the room. I have a single socket in the room. The equipment is all low power. I currently use a "tower" type extension lead from the socket, but my problem is that the cables from some of the devices need to trail across the room to reach the extension sockets. This would be the case whether I use the existing tower extension, or screw a more basic extension to the desk.

I accept that the suggestion of a fused spur with fixed cabling and sockets would probably be the best solution, but I guess I was looking for a semi-permanent solution, where I could simply unplug the cable and remove the sockets easily when I don't need them any more. Something better than a loose extension, but not a permanent fixture.

I am genuinely interested in finding out why it is such a poor suggestion - is it against any regulations? Would it be unsafe? All comments appreciated.

Thanks guys.

I don't think it contravenes any regulations.
Providing the "fixed extension" if we can call it that? is not overloaded and the correct cable sizing used, it should be safe. As it will be protected by the 13A fuse in the plug top.
In essence very much like a fused spur to socket outlets.

Just do it, make sure there is RCD protection and you have a fuse (not tin foil) in the plug top that feeds it all, cable in trunking looks neater that a clipped cable. When you dont want all that in your room you only have a hand full of small holes to fill when you remove it all.

Because these new surface-mounted sockets don't match the existing installation, should they be at least 450mm above the floor?

Because these new surface-mounted sockets don't match the existing installation, should they be at least 450mm above the floor?

That rule only apples on new builds, and is optional on full rewires.

I don't think that would be an issue, socket height regulation are for new dwellings and not for extending or adding to existing circuits in existing properties, unless the dwelling already has it's socket heights at the requirements for new dwellings.
As it sounds like the run of the cable is either going to be surface mounted clipped or run in trunking, it would also be quite apparent where the cable is installed, so would not consider that an issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back