Gas Hob Ignition Cable extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had my old gas hob replaced by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
In order to reach the electric socket I did wire the HO5V2V2-F (3x0.75sqmm) ignition cable in the hob to a 13 AMP plug ( with a 3amp fuse) and then extend it with a 3x1.5mm flex cable extension to the socket. The extension cable plug also has a 3 amp fuse.
Would this be a safe and permanent solution in accordance with the rules?
Please advice.
Zack

Sponsored Links
Would this be a safe and permanent solution in accordance with the rules?

Do you have any pictures of you handy work?
It would be normal practice to either have a socket located in a nearby position or an outlet plate that has been down fused, but should be easily accessible.
It is not good practice to use extensions as a permanent solution.

Dear PrenticeBoyofDerry,
Thank you for your prompt reply. Unfortunately there are no sockets reachable within the length of the ignition cable that came with the gas hob.
The previous gas hob was not connected to the socket probably from the same reason.
I have to dismantle the cupboards in order to reach the wall and have an electrician build a new socket.
For that I have to remove the gas hob and have to replace the short cable with a longer one that will reach the sockets about 2-3 meters away.
Considering the low current used intermittently only at ignition is the current solution unsafe?
Thanks
Zack

Sponsored Links
Meanwhile I bought from B&Q a 10 amp round 3 pin plug and socket.
Would it be safer to connect the flexes mentioned in my initial email thru this connector instead of a cable lead?
In doing so I will be removing one plug ( with a 3 amp fuse) from the way and remaining only with the plug ( with 3 amp fuse) plugged in the socket.
Please comment.
Thank You
Zack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back