Extending 240v power supply to gas hob

Why? I thought you claimed to be an electrician? Have you really never seen a consumer unit in a kitchen cupboard before?

Why are you advising the isolator should be moved to somewhere accessible? You were telling someone on Thursday not to bother having an isolator at all. Make your mind up :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If you think the location of the cooker switch is bad, you should see the location of the consumer unit - it's in the same cupboard as the cooker switch - you can't tell from the photo but it's a corner unit and the consumer unit is all the way over on the right hand end, about 500 mm over from the door opening.
Unbelievable. I'm speechless.
My in-laws had exactly that arrangement in their late-80s-built bungalow. It was a Wylex Standard CU (main switch on right) and it actually required some acrobatic activity to even reach the Main Switch (after, of course, one had emptied the cupboards)! I presume that it must have been installed before the kitchen was completed, and it was all-but-impossible to work on it once the kitchen was completed- removing the central shelf and 'getting into' the corner cupboard was the only hope! CUs in kitchen cupboards are common enough, but this one was IMO more than a bit ridiculous!

Kind Regards, John

Why? I thought you claimed to be an electrician? Have you really never seen a consumer unit in a kitchen cupboard before?

Why are you advising the isolator should be moved to somewhere accessible? You were telling someone on Thursday not to bother having an isolator at all. Make your mind up :rolleyes:

I've never claimed to be an electrician. I've never seen a CU in a kitchen cupboard. I've never said not to have an isolator on a cooker.

So what's this 50 years experience of electrical work you claim to have?

Sponsored Links
An electrician in Wales told me the "worst" location he found was in the bottom of an immovable Welsh dresser. Part of the back of the dresser been removed so the CU meter and cut out could protrude into the bottom cupboard of the dresser.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back