Fitting a single oven and induction hob

No it isn't!
Isn't what ?
Isn't fair ? Isn't logical ? Isn't "more modern"* ? Doesn't have something more modern* that does the same thing as a fuse** but in a resettable manner ?

* Yes, I know MCBs have been around for a very long time, but for most people fuses are "old fashioned", MCBs are "more modern".
** While there are difference in protection curves, the principal function of an MCB is the same as that of a fuse - disconnect the circuit under conditions of fault or overload.

So I think you'll find that to the average householder, the CU is the same as a fuse box, but with these convenient resettable switches instead of the inconvenient one-shot rewireable (or sometimes, cartridge) fuses. I suspect that if you ask most people where their "fuse box" is then they'll point you at the CU, and them where their CU or Consumer Unit is then a lot will give you a blank look until you mention fuse box or distribution board.
"fuse box" is also easier to say than consumer unit, as well as better conveying it's function.

Sponsored Links
No it isn't!
Isn't what ?
Isn't fair ? Isn't logical ? Isn't "more modern"* ? Doesn't have something more modern* that does the same thing as a fuse** but in a resettable manner ?
Isn't just a more modern version.
I suppose the differences in protection curves and breaking capacity will not matter in the average domestic setting, but that doesn't mean they are the same. Householders need educating to use the correct terms - how often on this forum does someone write that "the fuseboard has tripped", at which we have to ask what they mean.
I'm not aware of any way of providing RCD functionality with fuses!

Householders need educating to use the correct terms -
I agree, albeit probably a an essentially unachieveable goal! As with you, it niggles me, just as it does to hear electricians talking of 'continuity tests' when they are undertaking quantitative measurements of resistance (or talking about 'boards' - floorboards, gravel boards or what, I wonder?!).
... how often on this forum does someone write that "the fuseboard has tripped", at which we have to ask what they mean.
Well, the same people would almost certainly not use the word 'tripped' in relation to a fuse, so we're usually halfway to knowing what they mean - needing only to ask about the presence of a 'test button'!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
upload_2016-2-3_18-7-12.png

Householders need educating to use the correct terms - how often on this forum does someone write that "the fuseboard has tripped"

I don't have a problem with the term fuseboard being applied to a unit which doesn't actually contain fuses.... its referred to as such because it traditionally did. Its a term that gets pretty widely used on site... e.g. "I'll gland off the fuse board end, you mount the isolator where the AC chaps want it"

I call the unit which puts the heat into my heating system and provides my DHW a boiler, and so does everyone else. However if it actually did as per its name, it would probably explode....

I call the unit which puts the heat into my heating system and provides my DHW a boiler, and so does everyone else. However if it actually did as per its name, it would probably explode....
A lot of people call their HW cylinder and immersion heater a boiler.

One may be a silly name but one is wrong.

Isn't just a more modern version.
As I said, in terms of it's basic function, yes it is. It's a device which senses excess current and disconnects the circuit under fault or overload conditions. Yes the curves are different, but then the curves for different types of fuse are different as well (not as different as between fuse and mcb, but still not identical).
Imagine harder ! Replace an MCB with a din rail mounted fuse carrier (they exist for some CUs, and definitely for some DBs) in a split load board and you have a circuit protected by RCD and fuse. Or mount an RCD inline in the circuit, or upstream of a fuseboard, or ...

Imagine harder ! Replace an MCB with a din rail mounted fuse carrier (they exist for some CUs, and definitely for some DBs) in a split load board and you have a circuit protected by RCD and fuse. Or mount an RCD inline in the circuit, or upstream of a fuseboard, or ...
I meant that I'm not aware of any way of using a fuse to detect current in the protective conductor and interrupt the live conductors.

I meant that I'm not aware of any way of using a fuse to detect current in the protective conductor and interrupt the live conductors.
And neither can an MCB - the vast majority of installations don't use RCBOs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back