Extension cable fixed to wall?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the recent comments - very helpful

the "fixed extension" if we can call it that? is not overloaded and the correct cable sizing used, it should be safe. As it will be protected by the 13A fuse in the plug top.
In essence very much like a fused spur to socket outlets.
That describes exactly what I was suggesting - "fixed extension" kind of sums it up.

make sure there is RCD protection and you have a fuse (not tin foil) in the plug top that feeds it all, cable in trunking looks neater that a clipped cable.
Agree with all of that - The single socket is on RCD (the ring main RCD), and the plug will be correctly fused. I will probably take your advice on trunking, and was planning on labelling the sockets "computer/peripheral only" to identify them as different to the main house sockets.

I have seen this type of arrangement in other properties, and while I accept that it's a DIY solution, I did think it seemed better than a loose trailing socket with lots of loose leads running around/across the room - I just wanted to get some comment before considering setting it up myself.

Thanks again guys, Cheers.

Why does using fixed sockets "scream out amateur" any more than "driving a couple of screws into desks to hold trailing extension leads"? I'm not criticising your comment, I'm just asking for clarification.
Because it is the kind of thing an amateur would do. Often found in pubs, where a plug has a flex (or worse, t&e, which isn't allowed) which just seems to disappear off somewhere, possibly to a socket which powers a television. This means it can't easily be tested, plus as already mentioned there is the confusion as to whether it should be tested under a periodic inspection, or portable appliance test.

"Driving a couple of screws into desks to hold trailing extension leads" might sound a bit haphazard, but it's what's often done in offices.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comments Weavertronix

"Driving a couple of screws into desks to hold trailing extension leads" might sound a bit haphazard, but it's what's often done in offices.

Is this really how it's done professionally in offices? (I admit I have seen it done) - is that because it's easily identified as an "extension".

I take your point about identifying the sockets and connection - fair comment.

I think that as the extension sockets will be only a few metres from the plug, the cable run/trunking will be easily identified, the sockets will be clearly labeled and as a whole it will be obvious as a simple fixed extension it will be fine.

Thanks again to all for feedback, keep up the good work :D

It's not so much a question of whether or not you can identify a "fixed extension", more "what IS a "fixed extension""?
Is it an appliance because it has a plug on it, or part of the fixed wiring because it is permanently fixed to the fabric of the building?

You're obviously going to do it anyway, but would you really be happy to pay a professional to leave you with something like this?:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=251272

It's my opinion that any alterations should be as similar to the original build as possible; you wouldn't expect to see one of these "fixed extensions" in a new or recently rewired house, so why would you put one in after?

It's not so much a question of whether or not you can identify a "fixed extension", more "what IS a "fixed extension""?
it's a bit like a multi socket extension screwed to a desk ;)

As I said, I take your points on board. I'm not obviously going to do it anyway, that's why I posted ;) And it won't be anything like the images you posted - I'm not trying to pretend they are original sockets in the house - as I have said, it's just a little step up from the basic trailing extensions (loose or fixed) and is not intended to be a permanent installation.

From the general feedback, it sounds like a reasonable thing to do - not unsafe, not against any regs, OK not as ideal as a full, permanent fitting of multiple ring main sockets around the room, but an acceptable option for the requirement.

As I said, I appreciate your comments - thanks

You will find it far more useful than trailing 4-ways simply for the fact that you have a switch for each piece of equipment, and massive wall warts don't cover adjacent sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back