Extension cord from bedroom to loft

Last time i looked they had Keyhole slots on the back of them, so I quess the makers assume people will want to fix them to something for at least some time, likely a bit more than temporary.
How long would you class as temporary?

Sponsored Links
Electrically, the only real difference is the plug/socket at the upstream end of an extension lead - but if the loads are modest, that's not really an issue.

Kind Regards, John
Yes, as I mentioned I have several in permanent use, in fact as I count now I think it may be 9 or 10

You can buy screw through ones as well, better than the keyhole jobbies if you need to unplug stuff regularly..

Sponsored Links
Hello, thanks for the comments, the extension cord will not be seen at all as the socket is in the hot water tank room. I plan to make a small hole in the ceiling then fix the extension to one of the rafters in the loft nice and neat. The power in the loft is required for an Alexa device. I have lighting up there but didn’t want to tap into that. I did consider running a spur from the same socket but this solution seems to do the same as running an extension and won’t it have another fuse?

cheers all

Hello, thanks for the comments, the extension cord will not be seen at all as the socket is in the hot water tank room. I plan to make a small hole in the ceiling then fix the extension to one of the rafters in the loft nice and neat. The power in the loft is required for an Alexa device. I have lighting up there but didn’t want to tap into that. I did consider running a spur from the same socket but this solution seems to do the same as running an extension and won’t it have another fuse?

cheers all
Indeed it will have another fuse and it will be fine. Under the circumstances [to power a wall wart] I'd use a 3A fuse.

Hi, just a quickie please, just noticed the single socket already has an extension in it with a TV plugged in, could I run another extension from one of those cube adaptors?

could you swap the single socket in the tank room for a double (better than a cube adapter)

I wouldn't use one under these conditions unless it were on show.

The only real problem with ‘cube adapters’ is mechanical in that they tend to droop out of the socket and be prone to getting the odd kick or bash with a vacuum cleaner. Electrically, provided they’re fused, they’re as safe as any other multi-way.

FWIW I just had a glance behind my TV/media cabinet and found:
A 6-way extension from the nearest socket sitting on top of the woofer to the TV etc.
A couple of 2-way ‘cubes’ in the 6-way feeding various non-set-top boxes and so on
A time clock in the 6-way with a 2-way feeding a couple of table lamps
A real spaghetti mess but reasonably electrically safe and it’s been like that for a dozen years.
I’m sure I’m not alone.

With a 13A plug you can isolate line and neutral
pl13_no_lock.jpg
with a FCU even with a double pole switch and a lock through the fuse carrier you can't be sure no one will switch on the neutral. Yes fan isolators often come with ability to lock, but also often rated 6 amp.

I can't think of a better way to isolate than a appliance lock out. You can get flex outlet plates, so it can be made very neat.

As to why you would want to is another question.

My setup would be a single socket in a cupboard feeding 2 separate 4 way adapters, is this ok? I am thinking about the fuses etc

The only real problem with ‘cube adapters’ is mechanical in that they tend to droop out of the socket and be prone to getting the odd kick or bash with a vacuum cleaner. Electrically, provided they’re fused, they’re as safe as any other multi-way.

FWIW I just had a glance behind my TV/media cabinet and found:
A 6-way extension from the nearest socket sitting on top of the woofer to the TV etc.
A couple of 2-way ‘cubes’ in the 6-way feeding various non-set-top boxes and so on
A time clock in the 6-way with a 2-way feeding a couple of table lamps
A real spaghetti mess but reasonably electrically safe and it’s been like that for a dozen years.
I’m sure I’m not alone.

sounds like you could do with this

https://cpc.farnell.com/brennenstuh...3m/dp/PL14407?st=brennenstuhl extension leads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back