Extension Designs - Ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

so, this year we intend to work with an architect to put together plans to modify our home.

upload_2019-1-3_8-49-49.png

as you can see, the drive-side is flat roof. Which will need replacing as part of the project, but to be honest it was due for replacement anyway.
The garage wall may well need replacing too as I'd quite like the garage to be fully insulated, so perhaps a new outter wall or merely a new internal section with insulation? Again, the existing wall isn't great as there was a tree which was growing under it so may be worth considering replacing that as part of the job....

Anyway!

upload_2019-1-3_8-52-14.png

that's essentially the floor area for that section of the house, orange being the house. The garage at the moment is 9m long x 3m wide, which is lovely, the two black squares to the left are a shower room and what was a dressing room, the longer black box above it was a bedroom which we don't use as the main house has the rooms we use, so we're looking to put a new wall in at the back and then put in new internal walls to give our existing kitchen/diner more room, open plan etc. This will also make the shower room more of a wet room and utility, and a second sitting room/Kid zone!

The garage will then become 9x4.5m - unless we do move out the existing end wall then it will be circa 9x5 ish. But then we'd need planning so it's not set in stone by any means.

upload_2019-1-3_8-56-9.png

similar to the above. It's not exact but just to put an image to the text. The idea being, we can drive the car into the garage, jump out with the dog (who's a keen swimmer!) chuck him straight in the shower in the wet room and be clean etc before he gets back into the house.

What I was wondering is would it be worth exploring a pitch roof and do away with the flat roof whilst we're getting the roof done?

The intention at this stage was to prepare for a potential future upper floor extension as we'd quite like an ensuite and a larger master bedroom, so whilst funds wouldn't allow for all this to be done at once we thought it would be a good time to at least prepare the foundation and overall structure to accept the upper floor when the time comes. Of course, we'd get quotes to do it all at once anyway just to see if it makes more sense to just go all out.

SO the pitch roof might not be the best option to allow for future modifications but would give lots more space in the below rooms maybe even a room above?

Don't know, just batting ideas more than anything, be good to hear some suggestions from you lovely lot - you're a bit cheaper than an architect hahaha.

I think if we went all in on the extension and did the upper floor too I assume it would be best to just go for an apex roof throughout anyway? least then we won't need to replace it in the future. An i'd have a loft in my garage :D

Sponsored Links
have you got any floor plans?

I'd always get a pitched roof when possible - flat will need repair at some point, and probably when you can least afford it!

I would not prepare for a possible future upper floor extension, make that decision now, borrow the money, or don't bother. The cost and upheavel of removing the roof and opening up the house in the future will be far more than doing it all now. Of course, you might be able to drop something like this onto it ... quicker roof construction and the space is there ready to be used in the future. Good access for craning it on too. If you take this route, you might be able to avoid paying for structural drawings (i did this for my bungalow conversion) - the truss people provide calcs for building control, your builder then just needs to build standard walls etc.

http://design.medeek.com/resources/truss/trussgallery.html
30-APG-TRUSS.jpg

upload_2019-1-3_9-31-37.png

Should make it a bit clearer than my poor paint skills haha.

Essentially, the sun room will go. The wall from the Kitchen will continue over to the garage wall and the rest would be largely opened up. So, the shower room would be much larger. The small green room between Dining room and what is labelled as Master bedroom is where the boiler is currently, this will be moved into the new wet room (which is where the gas main comes in anyway as there's a cupboard in there with electric board etc)

With regards to upstairs, it would be bedroom three and four that would be adjusted with an upper extension. We've recently replaced the exisiting bathroom (although the plumber wasn't great so it still needs work!)

So the upper extension would possibly mean part of bedroom 4 would become ensuite to the new area created which would be the master suite.

We don't need 5 bedrooms at all, so we're not looking to move the downstairs bedroom upstairs or anything like that. Just make the house a bit more functional for our needs.

Additionally, the current single door between lounge and dining room will be plastered over. We don't use it at all (actually has an armchair infront of it!)

SO little green room is to become part of existing dining room.
"Master Bedroom" is to become a new reception room/Games room/Bar.....hopefully more the latter :D
"Dressing room" is to become partly garage partly wet room
"Sun room" gone
"Downstairs shower" become larger and becomes wet room/utility

I like the roofing suggestion you've made as we're only needing/wanting to create a single room and it will be accessed via an existing room anyway so having it positioned central in the trusses would seem ideal.

Yeah, looks like you have plenty of space so no need for a full on second storey extension.
But, how many bedrooms do you need. Another idea would be to make bedroom two the master, and turn five into the dressing room / ensuite,
Then the existing master can be a guest room / games room etc. And might be handy a few years down the line when your legs can no longer get you upstairs. Many people have to leave their homes because of mobility issues, so always good to think ahead if you're planning to stay there awhile!

Sponsored Links
Realistically wants are overtaking need on the bedroom front. We'd be fine with three, but I wouldn't like to reduce the properties value bringing it down to 3 even if it was an easy swap back. 4 would be the ideal finished product really. 5 could indeed become the ensuite - especially as the master bathroom is next door so plumbing could be easier.

I think that's why they had the master downstairs, and made it a dressing room etc, but we're both 34, fingers crossed we're a long way off needing to consider mobility barring anything out of the ordinary happening. But I agree, good to plan ahead but hopefully we've got at least 30 years of being able to manage....hopefully.

we're certainly not looking to move any time soon - if anything we'd hope it to be our forever home and only potentially move on when we decide to retire and downsize. But we're in a fantastic catchment area for schools from Nursery - High School, not too far from town but not too close. Only real issue is parking, we're in the corner plot so can get hemmed in but I've plans for that too. So there's no need to move really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back