Ironwork has been added to the new roof rafters, beams, and wall plates.

roof ironwork.jpg

roof ironwork 2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ooops! Not a great start to WEEK 14...

Ooops.jpg

A block of wood bounced out of the skip and into my car. Should have parked it further away!

Not the roof finish I was looking for, but I think it will mellow in..

Roof tarp.jpg

Work has started on the old utility room.

old utility 2.jpg

The downstairs loo is the new temporary washing room..

Toilet utility.jpg

The old utility room ceiling/roof from above. Note the pathetic attempt at insulation in 1973! Now you see it...

utility ceiling.jpg

Now you don't...

Utility ceiling text.jpg

Last edited:
WEEK 15 The big reveal!

This week walls were knocked down, the old garage flat roof removed and the space opened up. Here's a shot of the utility room before...

utility before.jpg

And after...

utility after 1.jpg

utility after 2.jpg

These are the new openings to the lift (right) and stairs to the media room (left). The electricians are coming in next week to tidy up the birds-nest of wires.

lift entrance.jpg

Sponsored Links
The old garage flat roof has been removed and the media room finally revealed.

media from lift.jpg

The media room ceiling will have 2 heights, to create a lit up recess. But this makes the ceiling timberwork appear complex.

media timberwork.jpg

You can also see that the blue sarking membrane and roof battens have been added. We are almost watertight. Hooray!

WEEK 16 The Lift is installed.

I like trucks, so imagine my delight when the lift arrived on this beauty..

beaty.jpg

Who knew that lifts came flat packed?

lift flat pack 2.jpg

lift flat pack.jpg

Then the installation begins. The guide brackets are fitted to the wall to take the guide rails.

lift install 1.jpg

Rails are attached and the central piston installed. This is a hydraulic lift which pushes a piston that is attached to the cabin via cables over the yellow pulley wheels. The pulleys have a multiplying effect on the piston movement. Basically, for every 1cm the piston moves up, the cabin raises by 2cm.

lift install 2 rails.jpg

This photo shows (a mess!) the pump unit, control box and the bottom of the piston.

lift install 3 piston.jpg

The lift cabin sits on a platform (silver), attached to the trolley (grey) which rides up and down the rails (black). You can also see the pulley cables attached to the trolley.

lift install 4 trolley.jpg

But IT DOESN'T FIT !!!

The lift is built to order, and we gave exact measurements for the purpose built shaft, which is 1250mm deep. But the engineer said he needed 1270mm. The lift platform was catching on the nearside wall.
lift install 5 does not fit.jpg

The drawings give a tolerance of 20mm either side of the platform but the engineer said they need 30mm. The extra 10mm each side appears to be for the wiring loom to cross over the shaft.

lift install tolerance.jpg

The only thing for it was to knock out the wall and lintel above to give the clearance needed. The concrete lintel and blocks installed 2 weeks ago have now been replaced with a wooden lintel. There will have to be some additional support stud work installed around this on the ground and 1st floors.

The really annoying thing is that this was completely avoidable, even up to the point last week when the lift co. surveyor came out, measured the shaft and signed it off for installation.

I shall be contacting the lift company for redress!

lift install 6 lintel.jpg

At least it now fits. Just!

A closer view of the wiring.

20170823_165346.jpg

There is also a problem with a faulty safety sensor, so the lift won't be finished until next week.

Last edited:
What a bugger!!! Even more so after their own surveyor had been onsite :(

Meanwhile, up on the roof, work has started above the front porch. Replacing the flat roof with a pitched version. To keep the lines, the new roof continues on from the new roof above the garage. But, to avoid blocking the picture window, the roof has a ridge with a pitch behind it. it's easier to see than explain.

porch framework 1.jpg

porch roof framework.jpg

Now covered with membrane.

porch membrane.jpg

The roof framework has been installed at the rear, with 3 gaps for the Velux roof windows.

rear rafters.jpg

The Velux windows have gone in at the front, and roof tiling started.

roof tiles.jpg

First views from inside the new media room. Note the vaulted ceiling, which was J's idea. Thanks.

media room rafters.jpg

media room rafters 2.jpg

The lift now has doors and is working. Yeh! But it has been disconnected until officially signed off. The nibs need to be built in next. Pics to follow.

I've lost count, but I think this is WEEK 18.

One of those weeks when not a lot appears to change, but it's all about the detail. Working on the main roof and the pitched roof over the porch.

IMG-20170910-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20170910-WA0017.jpg

Inside the porch roof.

IMG-20170910-WA0000.jpg

Now with insulation.

IMG-20170910-WA0012.jpg

The roof has a fibreglass gully and some fancy leadwork.

IMG-20170910-WA0021.jpg

IMG-20170910-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20170910-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20170910-WA0011.jpg

Very neat.

WEEK 19

More detail on the roof.

IMG-20170913-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20170913-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20170913-WA0000.jpg

The leadwork has been patinated with oil to stop the rainwater run-off staining the tiles.

IMG-20170913-WA0001.jpg

20170913_104903.jpg

Thanks for the reminder. I must admit I have become a bit weary of the build, and so have not posted anything for a few weeks. I guess I'm at that stage where the novelty has worn off and I really just it to be finished.

Progress has been made, and we are now in WEEK 24.

The good news is that the lift is now fully operational. Here's a couple of pictures of the inside.

lift 1.jpg

20171003_082854.jpg

Unfortunately, there were a couple of scratches on the doors when they were installed. They sent a guy out to repaint them. This took him most of the day, only to stand back and look at it, and realise it was the wrong shade of white! He's coming back this week to have another go.

The floor in the lift is just a bare metal tray. I will probably install a floor to match the tiling in the breakfast room.

Work has finished on the main roof, and the soffits and guttering have been installed.

SIDE9.JPG

I shall gather together some more pictures and post later.

Here's the progress to date in the
media room.

First fix electrics.

1st fix media.jpg

Insulation board, 120mm between the rafters and 25mm on the face.

media insulation.jpg

And in the roof space above. The platform will be boarded for storage.

media loft.jpg

The media room has now been plastered. Note the new window, at floor level - necessary for emergency fire egress.

20171020_142701.jpg

20171020_142400.jpg

The Velux windows give a good light. We will install solar powered blackout blinds to darken the room for using the projector.

20171020_142536.jpg

A Jumble of speaker wires, network cables coax and trigger leads - all without labels. Doh! The audio set up will be a Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 configuration - which means 5 (left, right, centre front, surround left & right) .1 (subwoofer) .4 ( ceiling left, right front & rear)

20171020_142436.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back