Extension electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I wonder if anybody could give me some advice, please?

I am a homeowner, and I have just had a two storey extension done.

My builder was recommended by my architect, and the work has gone through building control.

I have an issue with the electrics. To cut a long story short, the builder insisted that I have a second consumer unit (10 gang in the contract), on the basis that if I did not, when doing the electrical work, the whole house electrics would need to be tested. It is a 1930s house, and whatever electrical work has always been certified, including a new consumer unit about 10 years ago.

I understand his reasoning, and agreed.

He had one of his men do all the electrical work, including fitting the new consumer unit. He had an electrician come and certify the work done. However, he only tested the extension electrics, and not the sockets and lights that he did in the rest of the house.

He now wants to charge me £125 plus vat for each additional electrical point that was installed by an unskilled, untrained and unqualified labourer, and which has not been tested. I know that the quality of work is not up to current standards in some aspects, e.g. when he drilled into a cable in the extension, he simply fixed it with Wagos, and did not fit a Maintenance Free box.

My question is, is it reasonable for me to pay full rate for work done by an unskilled and unqualified worker, and was not tested? I don't want something for nothing, but I do feel that I am being taken advantage of.

Any thoughts would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks very much.

Phil

Sponsored Links
I would say you have good reason to involve Trading Standards officers.

The builder's man bodged the repair of the damage his drill did, How many other bodges are there that you are not aware of ?

The "electrician" who came to certify the work did not see ( or ignored ) the bodged repair, How many other bodges did he not see or ignored. ?

Just a bit of an update.

I went to connect two new wall lights to the new circuit that the builder put in. They are in the original bedroom, so don't form part of the extension. Before I connected them, I isolated the "upstairs lights" and checked for a live wire. My meter told me that it was still live, which surprised me. I then isolated the new extension lighting circuit, and the circuit was still live I then disconnected the "downstairs lighting", and the circuit went dead. The bedroom is upstairs.

On examination, the new light switch was either connected incorrectly or put on upside down (I have to move a large wardrobe to get to one of the screws on the switch, which I'll do today), neither of the terminations at the wall had an earth cable sleeve, and one of the 1mm T&E cables was nicked through to the inner cable.
Also, a new socket under the stairs (in the old part of the house, has been connected to the new extension circuit.

I think I need an electrician.

Sponsored Links
I went to connect two new wall lights to the new circuit that the builder put in. They are in the original bedroom, so don't form part of the extension. Before I connected them, I isolated the "upstairs lights" and checked for a live wire. My meter told me that it was still live, which surprised me. I then isolated the new extension lighting circuit, and the circuit was still live I then disconnected the "downstairs lighting", and the circuit went dead. The bedroom is upstairs.
Well done. Top marks for safety.
Could be handy if one circuit has a fault, you will still have a light.

Just amend the CU labels.

On examination, the new light switch was either connected incorrectly or put on upside down (I have to move a large wardrobe to get to one of the screws on the switch, which I'll do today),
Ok.

neither of the terminations at the wall had an earth cable sleeve, and one of the 1mm T&E cables was nicked through to the inner cable.
Could be better but not the end of the world.

Also, a new socket under the stairs (in the old part of the house, has been connected to the new extension circuit.
As above; amend the CU label.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back