Extension floor does not meet house floor level.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a single storey rear extension built, the kitchen was fitted this weekend and we are ready for the wall and floor tiles.

I checked the internal floor level (floor board) and it is 45mm higher than the extension floor level.

The kitchen base cabinets and worktop are at 920mm high, if I raise the floor 45mm and then approximately an additional 25mm for tile and glue the worktop will be reduced to 850mm.

I have considered creating a slope but this will also prove difficult as it is 850mm from a custom made in opening wooden door.

What are my options

TIA

Sponsored Links
Assuming you asked for the floor in the extension to be at the same level, someone has dropped one! Your builder needs to raise the extension floor level. 40mm is about the minimum for a conventional sand/cement screed so you will still be OK with that, much less & you need to go to a bonded or self levelling compound/screed which will be more expensive.

25mm is ambitious to make up in the tiling; it will make things tricky even if whoever is doing it knows what they are doing. It depends on the size of tiles you’re using but you should normally allow the thickness of your tiles + 4-6mm for adhesive, anything more & you really need to use an SLC first.

Sponsored Links
Its a bit late to be checking the floor levels when the thing is built and the carcases are fitted!

I can't see any other option but to have a step in the floor at this stage - or just a very slight incline at the change of level only

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back