Extension foundation slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had (completed Monday) the foundations and slab poured for my new extension. Obviously had a bit of rain recently, and there is standing water ( prob around an inch deep) in one corner of the slab.
Obviously, this would imply that it’s not 100% level. Going forward, is this an issue, or is this acceptable?

Sponsored Links
Not enough to break it up and start again. It can be sorted with a levelling screed, bulked with sand. If you've had it done, whoever did it should be sorting that for you.

Is a dining room ( dormer extension above it)
Concrete slab layer, then I presume insulation, followed by board and then screed?
Final finished floor will be oak boards.
I guess there is opportunity to level the floor up during the insulation/screed process?

Sponsored Links
It will be fine. I levelled mine with tamped down sand to stop the PIR boards rocking.

The final screed layer will take out any issues.

I have just had (completed Monday) the foundations and slab poured for my new extension. Obviously had a bit of rain recently, and there is standing water ( prob around an inch deep) in one corner of the slab.
Obviously, this would imply that it’s not 100% level. Going forward, is this an issue, or is this acceptable?
Par for the course really.

builders rarely make much effort levelling the slab and with the DPM sticking up around the perimeter it’s difficult to visually check against the blockwork.

builders just slap down the insulation and let the screed sort it out.

an inch is a bit much, you could level it as suggested above.

When doing orangeries I found it best to get the electricians and plumbers to run around the perimeter - it makes laying insulation so much easier. Nothing more annoying than the pipes and cables running diagonally everywhere.

It may be bad practice, im not sure: but I found it’s easier to lay 50mm celetex cutting it around cables, then lay a full layer over the top at 90deg. Even easier still if the cables / pipes are around the perimeter or in straight lines.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back