What to do about exposed area of a slab foundation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many, many years ago when I was young and (more) clueless,we removed a flat-roof toilet/shower attached my pitched-roof kitchen extension (probably built in the 50s or thereabouts - the flat roofed bit appeared to be a coal store and maybe a pantry or something originally).

We left the existing exposed slab foundation and decked over the top of it. I'm now planning to get the whole extension refurbished properly and have realised that leaving the slab exposed was a very poor idea as it's one big slab under both the external bit and the pitched roof part and I've had the concept of "wicking" explained to me.

It's actually not caused any problems as far as I can tell - there's no damp or anything, but I do want to make it right. What's the best thing to do? I've had the following ideas:

1. Demolish the external bit of foundation - but won't that compromise the integrity of the entire slab?
2. Dig a channel between the external part of the slab and the brick walls and install a linear drain - it would have to be about three bricks deep to get below the slate DPC

Any advice? One builder suggested option 1, the others never mentioned it as a problem at all.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I've attached a drawing in the hopes of it making a little more sense. I'm not really sure what is going on below the surface or how far down the slab runs, or indeed, where the DPC goes (just in the bricks?). Hoping someone can suggest what I can do with this bit of foundation.

Attachments

• slab.jpg
    slab.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 126

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back