Concrete slab roof thickness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the rear of my house, in common with several similar houses, we have a single storey utility room, combined with a one time toilet and a one time coal store when built in 1955. That was revised, refurbished by demolition of a brick dividing wall, to make a larger, better insulated utility room, with the toilet moved into the main house and a pointless store room. I later modified that, by knocking a door way through from the utility room into the store, to make a much needed pantry, bricking up the original separate door.

A neighbour is in the process of demolishing the entire thing, to build an extra ground floor bedroom, plus utility, which has given me the chance to better see the original construction. of the concrete slab roof. The slab is around 4.5 inches thick, cast in place and has no steel reinforcement at all - which rather surprised me. Would the lack of reinforcing be normal?

The entire space is roughly 11.5' x 7', with a 3' wide pantry taking up 3' of the 11.5' length, accessed via the middle of the 7'. As you enter the pantry, there are deep shelves on both your left and right.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back