Extension Foundations

If you're on a budget, then it may be cheaper to have a 225 concrete strip and either trenchblocks or a normal block cavity in the footings, and not mass concrete.

And dont forget that the 1000 deep is from the lowest ground level point and then level, not 1000 deep from all the ground level, or 1150 from DPC level

Sponsored Links
[quote="ianm75" i'm glad i'm not the only one receiving extortionate quotes for relitively small extensions.

I have done the maths and the shell with roof and 2 velux windows, foundation concrete ready mixed and delivered, all blocks, timber and tiles and so far i'm looking at 4k. A big improvement over 35k. Even if i bring in a bricky and roofer i will make drastic savings hence why i'm looking at digging and getting the foundations poured and then get the trades in after.
I like the ebay idea, i have just seen 600 tiles, the type i need for £9, could get a bargain. Like your Extension Gary, looks like you've done a great job, maybe take it up as a full time job. Would'nt be hard to undercut the competitors!!!!

Thanks Ian[/quote]

why extortionate??????
3 quotes all similar so must be the going rate!!!!

or maybe you expect the builders to work all day then spend all night surfing the internet for bargains

the builder has all sorts to pay on top of materials such as public liabilty insurance,a van to maintain, maybe offices to pay for, tools to do the job,i built my own kitchen extension not a large one either, all i paid for was a spark and it still set me back about 19k, with all the fees, skips, materials etc

p.s. good luck with, hope you enjoy the experience and find it rewarding, but all the money you save will just mean the wife will want more shoes and handbags :LOL:

Thanks noseall for the reply

I would be happy to pay £25k to have this built but 35k just for shell and then another 15k for the kitchen, toilet, flooring etc brings the total to about 50k and to be honest the house will not be worth 50k more at the end of it so what the point. If i can build it all for 25k then at least it will be worth spending the money on it.

I know i said extortionate but i read on the web that the average price for an extension was £1000 per square metre fully finished so i suppose i was expecting to pay £25k.

One last question to anyone......The architects drawing state that the new foundations meeting the existing house ones must be seperated by 25mm expandable polystyrene. Is there a specific type i should purchase? Thanks

Sponsored Links
not especially unless you were fitting heave barrier.

regular polystyrene will be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back