Extension help and advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
This is my first post but i need some help as regards to an extension that we are thinking of having.
We live in a 1970's 3 bed semi, its not massive but with baby no 4 on the way we need more space. Our children have a massive age difference so bedrooms are a problem and moving to a 4 bed is going to be very expensive.
On our estate a few houses have built over their driveways, this is what we were thinking. Some of these people now have no access to their gardens (although the ground floors look like garages so i guess they might have access through this) I need to be able to get in the garden as we have more wheelie bins than soft mick!!!!
We have a few ideas but my biggest concern is will it be worth it??? The drive measures 7ft 8 and then next doors drive starts so here are my questions
1. Can a second storey extension be supported on pillars? Therefore giving us a walk way through/
2. As these pillars or a wall would be up to next doors drive would he have to sign a party wall agreement and would we need to dig up his drive?
3. How thick would pillars need to be?
4. Although the size of the drive is just over 7 ft how much space to you allow for the actual building so that i could work out the size of the rooms we could create.

Many thanks, my mind is just boggled and i dont have a clue where to start but am aware that we only have about 4 months left until my house is full to the max.

Sponsored Links
You can cantilever an extension or support off posts. Its just a matter of design, so thickness of piers will be down to your designer

Timber frame may give more internal space and be easier to support than masonry

Planning constraints will be more relevant to the technical issues. You need to determine what will be allowed under your local planning policy, before thinking about how it will be built

Think about other options of gaining space too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back