extension info

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am considering adding a 2-storey extension on the side of my semi-detached house, to add 2 more roms upstairs.

Currently both the neighbours and ourselves have lean-to roofs on the side onto the party wall. the front half of the wall seems to be double bricked (garage part) and the rear I can see pillar's.

If I was to build the entension, would I need to build new walls inside of the pillars?

I thought I would check before getting builders over for estimates

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If you have one of the typical old semis, then irrespective of the ownership details of the party wall, the wall/foundations wont be strong enough for building on in any case

So you either need new walls and foundations or some sort of steelwork

The council wont let you build up to the boundary either at first floor level, so you will normally end up with an extra 1m internal width upstairs

If you have one of the typical old semis, then irrespective of the ownership details of the party wall, the wall/foundations wont be strong enough for building on in any case

So you either need new walls and foundations or some sort of steelwork

The council wont let you build up to the boundary either at first floor level, so you will normally end up with an extra 1m internal width upstairs

thanks for the reply woody.

a few houses on our road have been extended to the boundary line, both on the ground and first floor

when you say steelwork, how would that work? I would have thought I would need walls.

Currently roof has 2 hips and a valley, was thinking of building up the new gable wall to give a duo pitch roof.

As an estimate, how much should it cost to erect the structure in double block (house is rendered) only to get it watertight? and how long should this roughly take?

The rest of the stuff like joists, floor, plastering, electrics and plumbing I can do myself and add into the planning application.

thanks

Sorry, b'ham council's policy is to maintain a 'suitable' gap between houses and this is generally of about 2m. In practice this will allow one neighbour to build to the boundary, and this then prevents the other neighbour from building out towards the boundary.

If foundations and new ground floor walls are impractical, then spanning steels on piers or columns at first floor level will take the upper floor walls. These may go across to the party wall or piers inside the party wall, or from front to back on your walls without touching the party wall. It all depends on site specifics

You are looking in the region of £30k for a front to back 2 storey shell. Access (from the neighbours) is normally a problems, but otherwise I'd say about two months work for 2-3 blokes

Sponsored Links
Sorry, b'ham council's policy is to maintain a 'suitable' gap between houses and this is generally of about 2m. In practice this will allow one neighbour to build to the boundary, and this then prevents the other neighbour from building out towards the boundary.

If foundations and new ground floor walls are impractical, then spanning steels on piers or columns at first floor level will take the upper floor walls. These may go across to the party wall or piers inside the party wall, or from front to back on your walls without touching the party wall. It all depends on site specifics

You are looking in the region of £30k for a front to back 2 storey shell. Access (from the neighbours) is normally a problems, but otherwise I'd say about two months work for 2-3 blokes

cheers for that

I guess most of that #30k is labour?

wall will be around 10m long, 5m high along 1 side, then a rsj on the front to support 1st floor andthe same on the back. Roof tiles to be reused.

I need to get someone around to quote me, and help with knowing what i need doing, and rough sizes of rooms afterwards

After measuring the width, it doesnt seem economical to do the full length as its wider at the front then the back, and doing all that work, for a 5ft wide room just doesnt seem to be worth it (plus soil pipe would need boxing on top of that)

above the garage should give us 6ft

The garage wall is double bricked, if the foundations are strong enough, can this be continued in double brick with no cavity?

I don't do a lot of regular building work as its not my main job. I can fit in the occasional small jobs, but I don't really like to get involved with big extensions as they just drag on too long for the client due to the limited time I have available

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back