Rear Single Storey Extension Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to build a single storey rear extension to my 3 bed semi detached house to extend 4 metres from the rear wall of the original house and is 5 metres wide and 3.5 metres high. The extension will replace an existing conservatory which extends 3 metres from the rear wall and is 5 metres wide and 3 metres high.

I've done a fair bit of research and as far I can see under the temporary increases applicable until May 2019,which for a semi detached increases the permitted meterage of a single storey extension beyond the rear wall from a 3 metres to 6 metres allowance before requiring planning permission. However, because it extend beyond 3 metres we be required to go through the neighbour consultation scheme.

Although there are pages of information I can't work out what the exact process I need to follow to get to point a builder can start work, and therefore have a few questions hopefully someone might be able to help with.

1. Do I need drawings? If so, can I do them myself and what do I need to draw.
2.Is there an online application process with the council and do I attach my drawing to that?
3.How is the neighbour consultation scheme triggered? Do I need to consult with the neighbours on both side or just the 'semi-detached' neighbour?
4.Assuming the neighbours are happy... What happens next? What else do I need to do or who else do I need to inform before asking a builder to start?

Many thanks,
Dave

Sponsored Links
The planning aspect of things seemed to have been covered, but remember you will also need Building Control approval and I would suggest you go down the plans route for that so there is something clear for your builder to quote on and follow.

Thanks Jadele and Blagard.

Blagard do you mean I should get plans drawn up by architect or can I do it myself assuming I draw them to scale etc?

Sponsored Links
unless you plan on building it yourself then the builder is responsible for meeting building control regs. Good drawings are always a good thing but for a basic extension likely not required. All that said call the planning dept tomorrow and you will find they are not bad ppl. They likely won't tell you much as it appears councils like to try get extra cash by making ppl apply for planning they don't need but it may put your mind at rest.

Best to talk to your neighbours first and tell them whats happening.

Party wall agreements?

Water company build over agreements?

Ground conditions?

Materials Specification and accurate drawings for accurate quotes?

ie it's not just a few lines on a sheet of A3

Thanks Jadele and Blagard.

Blagard do you mean I should get plans drawn up by architect or can I do it myself assuming I draw them to scale etc?

As Woody has said you are responsible for compliance with the building regulations so choose your builder carefully as a good one will make sure it does comply. For a small extension you will usually find some technician can do you a drawing at low cost (check your local paper if none is recommended) and although you could build without them you can have details you particularly want put on them and make sure they are in your contract with the builder. A drawing can also be very useful if you also have obligations under the party wall act because it can show what you agree to. Bottom line on all matters is it is your home and your responsibility to the authorities.

Woody has also drawn attention to other possible requirements like any shared sewers/drains that you might build over - your need agreements to do that if applicable.

Take note of his last couple of lines as the better the quality of information the better your chance of a hassle free build (Not sure if that is possible tho :) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back