Extension party wall

jtc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am building a new single storey extension. It is a terraced house and at the moment on one side there are outbuildings including a WC that run along the wall, this is mirrored next door. So the party wall of the house basically continues outside to where these buildings are. For the extension the architect says I have to build a new cavity wall next to this party wall after demolising the buildings (minus party wall) This to me sounds nonsense. Surely I can use the existing party wall as my extension wall as it is the same length and height as the new extension and next door seem to have already done this with theirs. Or would I need to build just an inner wall and somehow tie this to the party wall. Or maybe just batten out the existing wall insulate and board. The foundations are surely adequate as it has been there for 80 years. Sorry if it sounds hard to describe.

Sponsored Links
The foundations are most likely to be unacceptable to the BCO. There will be extra load from the roof or new inner leaf. So, underpinning may well be required - whether this is cheaper that demolishing is up to you to decide.

If you can use the wall, then you only need to insulate it. You can either celotex it and plasterboard, or build a timber stud wall. There is no need to build an inner leaf in block.

You should really be following the approved plan though. Were you not aware of the Architects design when the plans were drawn?

The architect has not drawn up buildling reg plans yet which is why I am querying it beforehand. Surely I cannot demolish the party wall though ? only the buildings coming off it. Which is why it seems strange to have the party wall standing and then a gap, then a cavity wall on fresh foundations.

In that case your options are to underpin and build a new leaf or fit celotex.

Or build a new wall off new foundations separate to the existing.

And remember to serve a Party Wall Notice on the neighbour in good time for when you plan to start work

Sponsored Links
JTC,

What was the final solution to your situation - I find myself in exactly the same situation now?

Thanks,
Damian.

If you wish to use your neighbours walls then you will need to get their agreement/approval (ideally in writing), otherwise you could find yourself severely hampered by the 'Party Wall Act 1992' a piece of legislation that was brought in to protect the rights of neighboring properties. Also, it is likely that the external walls of the neighboring properties are not on your property and you therefore have no right to interfere with their property. Your architect should be able to advise you in more detail!

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back