Extension Phone line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have one master socket in our entrance hall, which i have connected up my livewire router from orange and i have connected a telelphone to my router for free calls to my family in cyprus as well as calling friends on their orange mobiles for free.
we had until today a 2nd line which was run off the master prior to us buying this place. this line was in our utility room which is in the process of becoming an en-suite.
i made a not of where the wires were in this box (2,3,&5) so when i re-sited the box into our bedroom i re-connected the box in the order of what i wrote down using the appropriate tool purchased especially for this job, tried the line - Nothing, completely dead.
took wires back out and tried again, still nothing.

just wondering if anyone knows if i am doing something wrong (prob stating the obvious)
the wires are green and white 5, orange and white 3 blue and white 2 ???

Sponsored Links
Go back to your master socket and have a look at the wires connected there.
They should be blue/white and white/blue will be in 2 and 5, any way round, and the orange/white and white/orange should be in 3 & 4 any way round.

If that is the case then wire your extension the same way.

If pairs are being used as they should be then with Blue/white on pin two then the wire on 5 should be White/blue

edit Too slow was I

They should be blue/white and white/blue will be in 2 and 5, any way round, and the orange/white and white/orange should be in 3 & 4 any way round.

Any way round will work, so long as you connect 3 to 3 etc. But if you want to follow the accepted standard:

2 - Blue/white
3 - Orange/white
4 - White/orange (not actually needed for a simple residential line)
5 - White/blue

Sponsored Links
The effort to fit a filtered face plate on the NTE5 and separately cable phone and ADSL wiring is well worth the trouble.

Separating the phone signal from the ADSL signal at the NTE5 with a filter faceplate allows complete freedom for the wiring to phone sockets around the house. The ADSL signal being taken to the location of the modem on a pair separate from the phone wiring ensures what ever happens on the internal phone wiring will not affect the ADSL signal.

I agree wholeheartedly with Bernard.

Fit a filter at the NTE for the modem to plug into, then the rest of the extension wiring for phones is pretty much isolated from the DSL side. If the NTE isn't in a suitable location for the modem, then use a dedicated pair from the unfiltered terminals to extend the DSL to a dedicated jack where the modem will be located.

The results will be far superior to having the DSL applied to every extension and stub and with multiple microfilters all over the place.

i'm really sorry guys but you lost me completely there :oops:
i have no idea what NTE or NTE 5 are and as for putting in wires for the adsl ???
would you possibly break that down for me so i can buy the relevant bits i need then take my laptop to the telephone point so i can carry out the changes needed.

something which is puzzling me - should i not be revealing the sheathed wire or do i leave it where it is and just use the telephone widget thingy to prise them between their connection terminals ?

We have one master socket in our entrance hall, which i have connected up my livewire router from orange and i have connected a telelphone to my router for free calls to my family in cyprus as well as calling friends on their orange mobiles for free.
we had until today a 2nd line which was run off the master prior to us buying this place. this line was in our utility room which is in the process of becoming an en-suite.
i made a not of where the wires were in this box (2,3,&5) so when i re-sited the box into our bedroom i re-connected the box in the order of what i wrote down using the appropriate tool purchased especially for this job, tried the line - Nothing, completely dead.
took wires back out and tried again, still nothing.

just wondering if anyone knows if i am doing something wrong (prob stating the obvious)
the wires are green and white 5, orange and white 3 blue and white 2 ???

You say 2nd line but I summise you mean a extension..and if it was working before and you have not touched the master socket(NTE5) then the problem will be with the extension socket....before going into filters ect have another look at the wiring on the nmaster socket(NTE5) then make sure the same colours go on the same terminals on the extension socket and if no joy you make have damaged the terminations on the extension socket...normally done by cheap tools or being pushed down on a angle so the connection are not biting into the insulation on the wires

The NTE is the master socket into which the incoming telephone cable is connected. These are square, invariable white and with a socket on the front.

The IDC ( press down, punch down ) terminals are Insulation Displacement Connectors because they displace the insulation to allow the wire inside to make good contact with the sharp edges of the fork the wire is pressed into.

There is a very informative document for download at

http://solwise.co.uk/adsl-around-the-home.htm

The NTE is the master socket into which the incoming telephone cable is connected. These are square, invariable white and with a socket on the front.

The IDC ( press down, punch down ) terminals are Insulation Displacement Connectors because they displace the insulation to allow the wire inside to make good contact with the sharp edges of the fork the wire is pressed into.

ADSL is the "technical" term for the broadband signal

There is a very informative document for download at

http://solwise.co.uk/adsl-around-the-home.htm[/QUOTE]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back