Extension quote. Sound fair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We live just outside of London and been quoted 34k for a 20m2 extension. It does not include the windows.

Basically it's at the back of the house, knocking down the external back wall to make a large open space for a kitchen/diner.

Also should there be any specific questions I ask in regards to whats included before I agree?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds a bit expensive, especially if not complete, ie. no windows. Is there a reason it is quoted without windows? Does it include the kitchen?
Have you had plans, even if very simple, drawn up? Any drainage issues (if a drain is under the area extended over, that will need to be moved etc.), what type of sub-floor (concrete slab or maybe extending suspended floor, if you have that now). Does the price include all plastering, skirting boards and doors etc. - how finished will it be? All electrics and plumbing, and radiators included?

2 years ago in Essex I paid 63k for about 50m2, and that included 2 windows, 2 french doors and a back door. But no major structural work was required.

Make sure they are fully insured, a proper business etc. as knocking out a back wall needs to be done correctly!

Sounds a bit expensive, especially if not complete, ie. no windows. Is there a reason it is quoted without windows? Does it include the kitchen?
Have you had plans, even if very simple, drawn up? Any drainage issues (if a drain is under the area extended over, that will need to be moved etc.), what type of sub-floor (concrete slab or maybe extending suspended floor, if you have that now). Does the price include all plastering, skirting boards and doors etc. - how finished will it be? All electrics and plumbing, and radiators included?

2 years ago in Essex I paid 63k for about 50m2, and that included 2 windows, 2 french doors and a back door. But no major structural work was required.

Make sure they are fully insured, a proper business etc. as knocking out a back wall needs to be done correctly!

Thanks. They are reputable, I was recommended by neighbours. Those are good questions, thank you. In regards to insurance is there a way to check a company online?

Just ask them. Just say you spoke to your home insurance about the extension, and they wanted you to check that the builders have insurance in place.

Sponsored Links
Ask to see a copy of their liability insurance, then contact their insuror to check if still valid. I have seen reported incidents where details of insurance have been provided, but when something went wrong the insuror was not interested as the builder had not paid his premiums. :(

Does the quote include internal finish to floors, walls, lighting, and matching this in with the existing room that's being knocked through?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back