Extension repair help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If anyone can advise an order of activities that would be great help...

3 years ago I bought our house, part of it used to be a shop and it was converted by the previous owners. I have an extension which leads off the rear of the house which is 2 rooms. These rooms used to be the store room for the shop.

When we first moved in we noticed a strong chemical like smell from the extension which we or friends with some diy experience couldnt place. They had decorated and painted it but no insulation apart from kingspan above the ceiling.

The previous owners said the main room had been tanked and tarred. Under the carpet in the extension there are black areas which look like tar.

There is absolutely no heating, little ventilation or insulation in either room but for a tiny extractor fan in a small wc in the first room and a tiny window leading onto the inside of a porch.

My first instinct was that this chemical smell just couldnt escape. We left it and had intended to return to it when we could afford to get it looked at as we stretched ourselves buying the house.

The roof ended up leaking, we got that refelted, no more leaking but the inside walls became covered in mould spots. I assumed due to the moisture getting in. One over the phone consultation just told us, "get a passifier vent, its condensation, we can do it for a grand."

Every week Ive been cleaning off the mould, I have used a de humidifier which fills up every time i use it.

There are no windows that open onto the outside of the building. The extension is one room about 10ft by 12 feet which leads onto the main rrom about 12ft by 15ft.

There are 3 outside walls on it. Outside there is higher ground against 1 wall about 2 feet of concrete. A drain pipe of some kind runs underneath part of the extension.

A friend mentioned simply getting a couple of holes drilled in the walls and covering them with grates to let the smell out.

Would I put these high or low and how many. The walls on the extension are approx 2-3 feet thick.

What order should I deal with heating , ventilation and insulation and how?

Sponsored Links
Just a thought the smell may be creosote, but I would have thought the smell would have gone by now as it is no longer used generally, maybe it has puddled somewhere. See here http://www.creosote.co.uk/

Sponsored Links
The smell sounds a little ominous that it is still there. Is there an oil tank nearby outside or any reason that there would be oil spilt in there? Tar on the floor is not really a guide to much as it could be adhesive from some former flooring.

These rooms really need ventilated and it's hard to know without seeing it what would be best. any chance of a photo or two?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back