Extension ridge beam missing existing rafter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Small extension subservient (I mean lower than) to existing hipped roof, the new ridge beam only just meets an existing rafter on the old roof. So rather than the full timber width of 2 inches meeting, there is maybe one inch of the ridge sitting on the rafter and one inch in thin air. They have been gas nailed together with 90mm nails at an angle, lot of nail showing.

Is this a cause for concern? The whole lot is tiled now, so my solution would be to twin the old rafter top to bottom so it fully supports the new ridge beam. If it needs a solution?!

Thanks.

(Why isn't the builder doing it? Because he rarely turns up now, is over time, over budget and I want to save any last favours/leverage for problems/work I can't fix/do so easily myself)

Sponsored Links
The whole of the rafter plumb cut should be taken up by the ridge.

Is it possible to insert something in the gap? I guess the nails are in the way.

If it is only the one pair that is effected then i guess there will be little to worry about other than shoddy workmanship.

The ridge board is largely a slave element, in any case within a lot of roofs, though it will help prevent rafters from twisting.

Not disagreeing with you Noseall, just trying to help out the OP a bit.
I think he's talking about a new ridge board that is meeting an existing rafter, as in the diagram below:
View media item 26049with the new ridge board meeting rafter indicated in blue.

I have no opinion on the workmanship or integrity of the joint unfortunately. I'll leave that to you.

Thanks Noseall, I apologise but I don't have a picture.

It's the end of the (new extension) ridge beam that's (half) resting on the (old house) rafter, all the extension's new rafters are resting on their new ridge beam fine. It's just that connection between new and old that's a bit out. I guess with new valley rafters connecting new to old it's not going anywhere.

Anyway, you're right, the diagonal nails are in the way of any rafter twinning I could do. Guess I could grind them out, twin the rafter and then nail/screw from under through the rafter then ridge beam. Might wait and see if Building Control say anything.

I 'try' and get everything 99-100%, then I normally hit about 95%+ which I can live with. If I go in thinking 90% will do, it ends up 85% and that's going to bug me every time I see it. (I know some aim at around 50% and seem happy to miss that every time. They seem quite happy to charge 100% though...)

Sponsored Links
Redherring - that's exactly right. Thanks for the clarification.

The valley lay boards and jack rafters will be doing the work.

The ridge can simply 'float' or it can be secured to the existing rafter or by other means if it falls between rafters i.e. on a pitched noggin, with the ridge board end cut to suit the pitch.

The ridge board in a cut rafter roof does not do much structurally, so the end connection to the existing roof is not that important

The ridge board in a cut rafter roof does not do much structurally, so the end connection to the existing roof is not that important

No, (and you have echoed what i have said) but it is handy to secure the ridge board when you are actually building the roof. ;)

But if you nail it, you can't move it afterwards to suit the various mis-cut rafter angles :rolleyes:

Lovely jubbly. All my snags/queries are getting sorted nicely with the help of you guys. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back