Extension roof, and removal of a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there guys,

this is my first post so please be gentle. I have searched and not found anything that solidifies my thoughts and I dont want to start hacking out my wall on what may turn out to be the wrong decision.

I have an extension on my house currently, which is timber framed, with ply and the associating DPM and roofing felt etc.

The roof was done by myself around 5 years ago and is solid, however the right hand side wall is starting to give way and if you stand near it you can feel the wind coming in.

My question is, I would like to take this wall out, and rebuild another, better one, with bricks. I just need to know, as its not a load bearing wall, while I take the old wall out can I just prop it up using a few acros? Or do I need something else?

Thanks guys

rich

Sponsored Links
newbieDIY";p="2007874 said:
Hi there guys,

this is my first post so please be gentle. I have searched and not found anything that solidifies my thoughts and I dont want to start hacking out my wall on what may turn out to be the wrong decision.

I have an extension on my house currently, which is timber framed, with ply and the associating DPM and roofing felt etc.

The roof was done by myself around 5 years ago and is solid, however the right hand side wall is starting to give way and if you stand near it you can feel the wind coming in.

My question is, I would like to take this wall out, and rebuild another, better one, with bricks. I just need to know, as its not a load bearing wall, while I take the old wall out can I just prop it up using a few acros? Or do I need something else?

Thanks guys

you have answered your own question....

as its not a load bearing wall, while I take the old wall out can I just prop it up using a few acros? Or do I need something else?

What do you need to prop if it's not load bearing?

thanks guys,

was pretty sure but didn't want the roof to cave in due to a silly wally moment.

thanks again

Sponsored Links
If there's potentital of the roof caving in, then one would assume the wall is infact load bearing... would they not?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back