extending garage width ways

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

firstly I have read the rules regarding estimates, I do not reqiure and exact figure just a rough idea as to how much I would belooking at to extend my garage widthways by 1.8m.

My garage is free standing at the end of my garden on my land. It already has electric etc. It has flat felt roof. I was presuming the procedure would be acro prop the rafters x10 then knock the side wall out, do the ground work then, single masonary wall. Then brace the rafters and remove acro props. Then plywood and re felt the roof.

Any ideas anyone?

£1k £2k £3k I really don't have any idea as Ive not had any building work done ever.

Sponsored Links
Now, now...not the best way eleiciting a response from someone, is it? ;)

If your joists span onto the wall you're intending to remove, you're going to have to put new ones in to suit the increased span. These can be bunged in from underneath, existing ones nailed to the side. However, the whole roof covering will need redoing, although you could patch onto what's there, but wouldn't recommend that. Do you need to replace the lintel to the opening, or are you leaving that at the same width and just increasing the internal width of the garage?

Ballpark anywhere from £5-7k plus VAT, assuming normal footings, oversite slab married up to the existing one and dependent on what you need to do with/to the bits that remain.

Hey you could do it for 100s rather than ks, you sound like the type of guy who shops on ebay real bargain building materials to be had.

Get a local handyman easy do it less than a k :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hey you could do it for 100s rather than ks, you sound like the type of guy who shops on ebay real bargain building materials to be had.

Get a local handyman easy do it less than a k :LOL:

Thats what I thought, less than £1k materials, will do most of the ,ucking out myself. Hire a skip get the ground work done etc etc......

Clearly if he did it himself, it would be a lot cheaper than getting someone professional into do it (ie, as per my rough figures), but he'd be struggling to do it in the £hundreds, unless he was a dab hand at every facet of building work involved and was able to source/beg/steal/borrow cheap bricks (or blocks), timber, ply etc etc.

Ah you posted just before my reply to FNT. Who I must say seems a bit quiet today and not his usual ****-taking self :LOL:

My good friend is a QS for Tolent. I can get cheaper materials. Just wondered if iwas possible for less than £1500.

easy?

you could become a flea bay junkie, hang around building sites, wait for the odd bag of cement to fall off a truck or go to a few rummage sales for that matter, and end up doing the job for next to nowt.

i don't know how much spare time you have, but hey with patience it may even look presentable!

as a builder living in the real world, then £1500 would not cover the materials should you ever decide to go down the 'express' route.

Ah you posted just before my reply to FNT. Who I must say seems a bit quiet today and not his usual p**s-taking self :LOL:
thanks shy your so to the point,if you read something i said about ebay a few weeks back you a known i was taking the p.ss,it was a remark about how some fella in here was gonna buy everything off ebay and build a house for peanuts lol,personaly i would buy longer timbers and go the whole hog new felt ect,have a good weekend shy il be back monday with some more usefull tips :LOL:

easy?

you could become a flea bay junkie, hang around building sites, wait for the odd bag of cement to fall off a truck or go to a few rummage sales for that matter, and end up doing the job for next to nowt.

i don't know how much spare time you have, but hey with patience it may even look presentable!

as a builder living in the real world, then £1500 would not cover the materials should you ever decide to go down the 'express' route.

Not in a hurry and I am more than capable of doing most of the labour. I only need help with the founds and roof. I have acro-props and can get tool hire free from HEWDENS. Many thanks for your support, you obviously want me to fail, but I will be honest to let you know of my outcome.
Or are you one of these biulders who qoute £6k?
I have the money to pay that but refuse as materials here in the northeast are not to expensive.

As for everyone else thanks for your input ;)

snip...if you read something i said about ebay a few weeks back you a known i was taking the p**s,it was a remark about how some fella in here was gonna buy everything off ebay and build a house for peanuts lol,personaly i would buy longer timbers and go the whole hog new felt ect,have a good weekend shy il be back monday with some more usefull tips :LOL:
Ah, wasn't aware of that one - that one flew straight over my head on this occasion :LOL: . Agree totally with the approach you say.
Have a goodun too, can't wait :LOL: :LOL:

saphcosme, i applaud your enthusiasm and i do not wish you to fail.

i told only the truth when mentioning costs from a builders quote point of view.

i do not doubt for a second that it can be done cheaper and that the materials could be acquired for less than quoted.

but to hire the services of a builder and expect it to be done for less than £1500 is completely unrealistic. it would also be unrealistic to expect a builder to hang around waiting for the cheapest materials to turn up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back