Extension roof - good or bad job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently having an extension built and I am unsure about a couple of things on our new roof. I have attached a photo.

The first is where the new ridge tiles adjoin the existing hip tiles. The join does not look neat to me and looks like there might be potential for water ingress. What do people think?

The second is where the 2 rooves join. The roofers have used our existing tiles for the join but you can see a diagonal line and the tiles either side of the join are off level.

Am I just being picky or should I ask for these issues to be rectified?

Attachments

• 20200616_105208.jpg
    20200616_105208.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 561
Sponsored Links
Not a roofer, thought I would stick that one in

Re the diagonal given the length of your tiles to lose that line would require major retiling of your roof, what was quoted in the works?

Without physically inspecting the ridge it's hard to tell if it's watertight , agree it does look odd though , might be better having a continuous line of ridge tiles

Underneath the diagonal line , where the old tiles meet the new tiles looks good to my eye

Might be worth having a friendly chat with the roofers if you're not happy , you have to live with it after all and it's your money you're spending

I've seen some roofers very keen on re-using lead and make this kind of joints waterproof by using the lead underneath.

Sponsored Links
Your new roof plane looks slightly higher than existing. I'm wondering whether the roofers bothered to take the roofing battens far enough from new to existing in order to mitigate the difference?

We would have either rejected the trusses or built it right. If we had no other choice, we would have used diminishing strips of timber on the low side. Looks like your roofers have not bothered to do anything.

There should be a lead saddle on the ridge join.

Back