Extension too big?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently built our extension on the back of our house. I am just getting ready to call the building inspectors to sign it off.

The problem I have just discovered is, that, although the overall size is 70 cubic metre I have gone over the 3 metre from the back wall of the house. I measured it at 3200mm. Has the 3 metre rule been in effect before the 2008 building regulations?

Now, shall I get the inspectors to do the final inspection and hope they sign it off? Or shall I apply for retrospective planning permission? Or shall I just wait for 5 years or longer? I was told that if a structure has been standing for more that 5 years with no complaints from residents then it will become valid. Is this correct?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
The 3m rule has nothing to do with Building Regulations. It's a planning requirement "if" you're building an extension under PD (Permitted Development), i.e. without planning permission.

So have you built the extension with or without planning permission?

Hi, it was done under permitted development on a building notice, being within the permitted cubic size. I seem to think that I specified the size I have built to on the plans. However, I have been reading now that there is a 3 metre rule for terraced and semis. It has been inspected along every step of the way.

As mentioned Permitted Development under Planning is completely separate to Building Regulations. They are two separate departments at the council. Building Control do not care if you build within or not within the PD rules. They do not check the size as they have no remit in this respect. That is for the planning department.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help. I think I can get the inspectors in now to sign off. I guess that if I have gone outside of PD then the only way the planning department will find out is if someone informs them, and that is unlikely as it has been up now for 3 years and the houses either side are still LA housing.

Thanks.

Hi, it was done under permitted development on a building notice

As FMT said, they are two different things.

Permitted Development relates to Planning.

Building Notice/Full Plans applications relate to Building Regulations.

But anyway, you should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back