extension underfloor insulation - ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Our dining room is an extension to the original bungalow. It is very cold in winter partly due to no underfloor insulation, a very large window and a flat roof with little or no insulation (I was told).
My wife wants to turn the large window into patio doors and I am thinking that we should try to minimise the cold too.
Re: Underfloor insulation
I asked a builder and he didn't seem keen to do this but posts on here suggest it is worthwhile because heat doesn't just rise. From when we moved in I think there is about 2 to 3 feet of clear space under the floor but don't recall any access apart from lifting the floorboards. In addition there are supporting walls for the joists (I think)
I therefore think I will need at least 2 access points made (trap doors?) and then insulate below the joists and under the trap doors with celotex. Does this seem right?
Re: New external ramp to provide patio door access
If we have new patio doors we need to build a ramp to make them usable. This could block the 3(?) external airbricks we have but I imagine we could still provide ventilation by making an internal sleeve within the ramp and adding airbricks to its outer face. I think the original house is built on concrete so there is no ventilation from the other side and there is only 1 airbrick in 1 of the side walls into the garage.
Does this sound ok?
(I will make a separate post if I cannot find an answer to my question re the roof insulation)
Thank you for your advice,
Pete

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back