Extension wall finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if someone can offer advice on this one...

I recently had a standard 3m x 6m single storey rear kitchen extension built. BC were involved at every stage and have now signed it off.

My neighbour was unhappy with the finish of the side wall (overlooking their garden) as it was not pointed. He didn't mention this until a week after the job had been done even though I said (many times) to let me know if there were any problems.

I agreed to get a builder in to concrete over the wall so that it could be painted to match the rest of his house. The finished job was ok but not great. I am fully prepared to get the builder out again if necessary.

While I was away for the weekend I found that my neighbour had asked my wife to go around to his side to see the wall and lectured her about the whole thing and threatened to contact the council to have the wall taken down (as he knows people at the council).

Luckily I wasnt home at the time. I'll speak to him later but wanted to be prepared first. I have contacted the BC at my council but had no reply yet.

In short, I'd like to know whether the finish applied to a wall can be objected to by a neighbour? I don't want this situation to deteriorate into an argument but thought it best to check where I stand first as it's not nice to be threatened with the sort of measures my neighbour has mentioned.

Any views or feedbak is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
He probably does know people @ the council :rolleyes: . As long as you have built to the spec. on the council approved plans , and in the correct position to your boundary - that`s it , AFAIK . . You`d love me as a neighbour - one house I had , I let next door to the side build a 2nd storey on top of his existing extension - and the guy @ the bottom of the garden , I sold him a metre strip of land so he could extend full height - then let him put scaffold on my remaining garden for the build - and I did his plumbing . But then I`m just an old p*key plumber from Ashdown Forest :mrgreen: You could say people from the council know me :LOL:

Thanks for the feedbak Nige.

Just got off the phone with BC who say they would have no interest in any complaint my neighbour may have based on what I have told them. The wall is within my bounday by a few inches and nothing overhangs into the adjacent property.

They reckon that what my neighbour says about the finish of the wall is purely subjective. What may be a bad finish for one person is ok to someone else.

And the only way it would have to be taken down is if it is structurally unsafe.

So I'll try to be as polite as possible and suggest that it is rendered again and see where that ends up...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back