Extension Problems & Party Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem which is giving me physical pains in my stomach.

My neighbour is a plumber and electrician and has said he is generally in the construction industry and had built extensions. Its a long story but turns out he's a cowboy. it gradually became clear that he didn't have a clue.

The foundations and subfloor finally got done this week under the eye of the Building Inspector. I had realised part way along that he was bull*****ing me and just wanted to get to the point where the sub base was in and as the Building Inspector was visiting most days I hoped and prayed it would be ok.

It's been passed by the Inspector now so hopefully I'm safe. Or I thought I was.

I had a builder come round today to see if I could carry on with my extension and he has raised a question about the party wall.

My neighbour's extension is right on the boundary and my "builder" has dug right up to their wall and down a meter & a half and filled it with concrete etc. I did not know this might be a problem, Inspector has never mentioned it and the "builder" never mentioned it either.

No notice has been served on neighbours and I'm worried sick. Been looking on internet and questions have been raised about damp proof, all sorts.

The "builder" has had the vast majority of my budget so I might be stuck with the foundations and sub base for the next 10 years anyway.

What to do? I'm guessing this is my fault and my responsibility.

Sponsored Links
Oh dear, why do people part with their hard earned so easily?

You aren't the first and certainly won't be the last, unfortunately.

I'm not having a go and genuinely sorry to hear of your predicament. Your problems seem to be a lot more than just the party wall act, you need to sit down with the plumber/builder(?) and find out how much(£)he has got left, what has been ordered and paid for and what the schedule is.

Then, depending on the answers you may wish to look at your position from a legal point of view.

Good luck and I hope things turn out ok.

There's only £6.000 left.

He had bought the materials for the walls and they are sub-standard according to the builder who came yesterday. In fact, there is some doubt as to whether he is a qualified plumber or electrician. He does power flushing/powder flushing for a living having 'given up' the other two trades and is self employed.

I doubt there's any point looking at it legally as £6000 will be gone instantly.

What's the problem now that the concrete is in?

All semi detached houses the country over have foundations that abut each other.

Just get it built and stop fretting.

The PWA is merely a comfort blanket that has no real relevance once the structure is complete.

Sponsored Links
Right, so he's bought the materials to build the walls, that's good, he's not spent it on beer.

Why are they substandard? Did your other builder(?) give a reason for this statement?

As noseall said, let him get on with it before making your mind up regarding his abilities. He may just surprise you unless you are a customer that will never be happy no matter what.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back