Extension wall material

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a double storey extension, would it be better (stronger, resistant to frost, better heated) to build the external walls using Celcon solar blocks (235mm thick) only or a cavity wall of brick and Celcon solar blocks (100mm thick), with Rockwool foam insulation in the cavity.

Looking in the forums I've notice some concern about Celcon blocks being prone to frost, how serious is this?

Sponsored Links
It'll all be rendered with white cement. I wasn't planning anything too extravagant!

Just my opinion, but I always think an extension should match the rest of the house and ideally look as if it was built at the same time. That means using a matching facing brick(and no flat roof :eek: ). If the rest of the house had suffered frost damage with spalled bricks then I could understand your concern to use something else. Perhaps it has, and you are planning to render the whole house?

Sponsored Links
Couldn't agree more. The house is currently pebble dashed, that's all coming off and the whole house will be rendered.

AndyDavis said:
I've notice some concern about Celcon blocks being prone to frost,
Celcon block’s are moisture resistance and high thermal efficiency so I can't see how they can be prone to frost.

masona - The frost issue is mentioned in some literature that I got from Celcon, however, I gave their technical department a call to find out more and they said that its no longer an issue.

murraysnudge - my building regs says use a solid 250mm celcon solar block, expect that celcon don't make 250mm blocks anymore. I've tried a number of others including Thermalite but no one seems to make a 250mm block any more, although I'm told Durox might. All the blocks go from 215mm to 265mm. I'm thinking that if I can't get any 250mm blocks then I'll build a cavity wall of either brick-block or block-block, with Rockwool in between.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back