Exterior (and easy) paint question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a house built in 1884 and the walls are NOT cavity-style and they are nine inches thick. Ten foot off of the ground in the ground floor kitchen a 18x18 inch damp patch has appeared after heavy rain. It is thus not rising damp and nor is it a leak from the room above. I suspect that the damp has come through the pointing/bricks, but although there is a little bit of paint flaking off of the exterior wall about eleven feet up, the bricks seems okay to me that is.
I have had three builders come round and each has given a worthy but different opinion. All have agreed that the exterior pointing if a little worn in places just above the damp patch on the inside, appears secure and free from visible damp.
Number one builder suggested scraping the plaster off of the inside of the wall, coating the bricks on the inside with damp-proof liquid and then re-plastering. Number two suggested re-pointing the bricks come what may and then re-paint the exterior wall and number three said that he noticed that the water-based exterior paint has begun to flake a bit and suggested raking the loose bits of worn brick and repairing them and then raking the loose bits of paint off and then re-painting with an oil-based exterior paint.
Two easy q's; 1) Is oil-based paint a decent sealant and better than a water-based exterior paint and 2) Which builder has given the best advice?

Sponsored Links
10 foot high kitchen walls , my word ! Are the servants complaining ? ! ;)
Scraping off and treating the area with a damproof paint/liquid, though good thinking , will only cure that small area - any damp from the other side will just find its way around and materialize elsewhere ..
It would definitely be worth re-painting the exterior ,if the pointing looks dodgy then remedy that first though, then apply 2-3 coats of trade quality Dulux weathershield exterior resin-based emulsion (not the diluted B&Q/Homebase version of Dulux, ask in the trade shop, they'll tell you )..
Get it done soon before the wet weather sets in or youll be sealing in more damp..

This kind of damp can only be dealt with from outside. Miosture is most certainly pentrating from outside through bad pointing , brickwork etc, maybe across a tie wire to the inside.
The dulux all seasons masonry paint will do, this is pliolite based and is rain proof in 15-20 mins. good stuff but dear. Make sure all pointing is up to scratch first though.

Sponsored Links
rudy good stuff that , I darent mention that because of the price (£40 ish) , Ive even used it in the winter ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back