Right sort of exterior paint??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A builder noted (from the surviving tin of paint) that the external rear wall of my house (built in 1884 and whose walls are NOT cavity style) was painted with Homebase's WEATHERCOAT MASONRY paint which also says "Water Based". He therefore surmised that as it is water based it would useless at keeping the rain out. I called him as EIGHT foot from the floor a damp patch has appeared (no pipes, baths etc at al in the room above) and I felt that the rain was coming through the pointing, although he said that the pointing was secure. Did the previous owners boob when painting an exterior wall with water based paint, or is it okay?

Sponsored Links
Builder not got a clue !!!! exterior emulsion has been water based since the year dot. oil based and pliolite based paint came much later. As long as the surface is clean and dry there are no problems. The age of the property yeilds a few clues as to where the damp may come from.

Can I guess that it is the walls or pointing that are allowing water to pass through them?

There are several things with house of this age that can cause damp,
Yes it could be the pointing that may have fallen out somewhere, this could cause the water to be drawn into the joint and as it is a 9" wall with no cavity could find its way into the inner course of brick.
More common than you think is when the water runs down the roof and into the gutter, the water can curl back under the slates and fall behind the gutter and onto the wall. This can enable the water to find its way between the two courses of bricks and then when it reaches something like a blob of cement of a tie iron, can then bridge accross to the inner course. many older roofs dont have any felt underneath and lipping into the gutter, or if it has it could have eroded away. More modern non rotting membranes are now used.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. None of the builders who have attended have mentioned that one, and it did occur after two heavy rainstorms.

PP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back