Painting House Exterior Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I am going to paint the exterior of my house and need a little help.
I have bought Wickes white Master Smooth Masonry paint.

1) what best to use to fill-in some hairline cracks (not in the bricks, but in the plaster/mortar). I bumped into someone in Wickes and he said go for the powdered, self-mix cement-based stuff, but for ease of use reasons, I would prefer to use a tube-based type. Any suggestions?

2) Is it necessary to seal the filler after aplication, and how?

3) Should I apply the paint (water-based) neat, or dilute it?

4) what paint to use on the facias? I was considering what Wickes call external satin, which I believe is water-based, but perhaps an oil-based gloss would be better?

5) I have a black band all along the bottom. I am guessing this is bitumen paint, but am not sure.

6) For the window frames (wood), do I use stain or varnish (is their a difference)?

Thanks,
Mandy

Sponsored Links
1...try using ordinary polyfilla but add 30% waterproof pva to the water you use to mix it with...dont leave it too proud its hard to rub down..dab with a sponge to blend it into the existing surface.

2. Not 'seal' as such but ive your only doing one coat then youll need to give the filler a coat first.

3..if its been painted before then no..otherwise thin the first coat by about 25%

4 personally I think your right about the gloss...but if you want to use the satin make sure you rub down the existing stuff well firstand undercoat it with oil based undercoat

5..if its a browny black and shows sings of aging it could well be bitumen..or it might just be black masonry paint...if your still unsure give it a touch with some il based undercoat and wait and see if a brownish stain bleeds through

6...depends on the state of the windows at the moment...remember varnish ownt cover anything up...stain...like sadolin or sikkiens will

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back