Painting Exterior Of House In Satin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I used satin inside our house and was very happy with the results

I actually used Wickes Satinwood and was impressed with the results

I am now going to paint the outside of the house and I am unsure whether to use gloss or satinwood for the woodwork and windows

In peoples experience is satin wood desirable for exterior of the house or is gloss recommended for its hard wearing capability?

Sponsored Links
I actually used Wickes Satinwood and was impressed with the results

I wasn't. In fact, I have made sample boards of all the different makes of water based and oil based trim paints and Wickes own brand was the least impressive! It was like painting with drippy molten plastic. It's odd, because some of their own brand stuff (like the hardware and tile adhesive) is really good.

There's no reason btw why satinwood paint should be any more or less durable than gloss, or eggshell. It's more to do with whether it's water based or oil based, the quality of the make and how exposed to the elements it will be.

Sponsored Links
It's gonna be a personal preference really. I much prefer Satin to Gloss finish. It also covers better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back