Exterior paint for concrete slabs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My driveway has about 25 metres of large concrete paving slaps set vertically running along one side to act as a retaining wall and raised bed. The are solidly set and straight/in-line but look ugly. I'm not going to replace them with a proper wall as haven't got the budget but I wondered about painting them with a suitable exterior paint? I know I can buy exterior grade paint but my concern is that the damp and frost will just cause the paint to flake off here and there - causing it to look even more ugly than the plain concrete slabs do right now.

I am looking for advice as to whether there is any type of exterior paint (with suitable sealer) that will stand up to the weather on these slabs when it is clear that they will get damp from behind (earth retained behind the slabs)? If there is a paint that is up to it, what is the recommendation?

I was wondering if there was a sealing/waterproofing product that would soak deeply into the slabs and thereby provide a much better base compared to a thin layer of conventional sealer/primer?

Regards,
Zarty

Sponsored Links
My driveway has about 25 metres of large concrete paving slaps set vertically running along one side to act as a retaining wall and raised bed. The are solidly set and straight/in-line but look ugly. I'm not going to replace them with a proper wall as haven't got the budget but I wondered about painting them with a suitable exterior paint? I know I can buy exterior grade paint but my concern is that the damp and frost will just cause the paint to flake off here and there - causing it to look even more ugly than the plain concrete slabs do right now.

I am looking for advice as to whether there is any type of exterior paint (with suitable sealer) that will stand up to the weather on these slabs when it is clear that they will get damp from behind (earth retained behind the slabs)? If there is a paint that is up to it, what is the recommendation?

I was wondering if there was a sealing/waterproofing product that would soak deeply into the slabs and thereby provide a much better base compared to a thin layer of conventional sealer/primer?

Regards,
Zarty

hi ima painter and i wouldnt really advice using exterior paint as it would just end up flaking off, like the slabs will absorb water from underneath which will penetrate through the slab which will result in frost making the paint come away but if you want to go for it id advice for safety reasons you use a "anti slip deck paint"

which is made for boats and has sand in it which stops slipping.

good luck :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back