Exterior contrete mixing ratios

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, would appreciate any information and \ or advice regarding project am eyeing up. I will try and explain. The area is outside, not terribly large, perhaps 50ft in length, maybe 10ft in width. Currently its paved with paving slabs which look to be about 24'' x 18'' and basically they are an eyesore, a lot are cracked, they are all different colours, with no real pattern or design. I lifted the paving slabs to find about an inch of sand beneath them and now I intend concreting the whole area, bit by bit. What I need to know is what ratio of sand, cement , gravel I should use. Theres no weight on the area , no cars etc, just basically an area for myself and family. Also how thick should I make it, I guessed about a similar thickness to the paving slabs, but any advice would be great. Finally, is it possible that I could add a colouring to the cement,am happy to give you a ring if thats easier or also happy to chat on any of the messenger systems, many thanks, much appreciated, all the best.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, much appreciated, but it doesnt really help. Theres quite a bit of conflicting advice, regarding aggregates, some have told me that no sand is needed, as its already in with the gravel, others have told me otherwise, but thanks, nevertheless, all knowledge is good knowledge.

You can get ballast, which is sand and gravel mixed, or buy the stones and sharp sand separately. Ballast is used 90% of the time, more convenient.

I'd recommend getting it all re-paved. Laying down a massive load of concrete will look ugly and won't be kind to the kids faces when they fall over (as kids do)

or why not get a mixture of paving and bark chips for the kids to play on?

Or to save the hassle of mixing concrete take the family for picnics to a local car park.

Sponsored Links
Cheers, thanks very much, the ' ballast ' sounds the better option. The cost of having it re-paved just wouldn't justify the end product, if the area was more exposed, then perhaps it would be the best option, but the area is actually at the back of the house, nobody other than myself and family can actually see it. I can't actually see my kids falling over, face first, either, 27 and 25 year olds kind of develop the ability to negotiate safely in such small, confined place. I actually live less than 100ft from a park, but if the mrs decided to waltz off over there and hang the washing up, am sure somebody would hoist it, ah well, thanks again for the advice, all the best.

Well at least you'll be able to use the old slabs as hardcore. You won't be saving much in the way of effort though. Laying slabs is far easier than knocking up and laying concrete any day of the week, will be more suited to doing 'bit by bit' than concrete which will need shuttering and construction joints to not look completely naff.

Yes, just read about the shuttering, and to be fair, thats not really a problem, in fact it just might help me in getting everything level, or unlevel, as the case may be, but cheers, appreicated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back