Exterior french door with narrow sidelite panels - Too narrow for drilling!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've brought some lovey looking french doors to replace standard sized sliding patio doors. Unfortunately they have narrow side panes that are narrower than a standard drill, let alone the bit length!
So, the unit has 3 sections, the two outer side panes and the central door section which have to be assembled prior to fitting.
So how do you drill for frame fixings? I'm guessing I will have to offer the whole unit up to the hole in the wall several times?

First to mark suitable locations for the fixings on the door frame.
Then take it out to drill the holes in the frame from the outer aspect of the frame.

Second to mark on the brick through the frame drillings the location of these holes.
Take it out to drill the holes in the brick work.

Third to actually screw in the frame fixings.

Does this sound correct?
Any other suggestions?
Phil

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I've got aluminium coupler bars to join side pain frames to door frame. They're about 1cm thick. The side lights are metal reinforced frames. I'd read about those fixings. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
May I ask a slightly stupid sounding question? The hole in the frame presumably has to be big enough for the masonry screw to go through without threading? So a hole the same size as the screw in the frame and a smaller pilot hole (6mm) in the brick?

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back