Exterior lights 2003. Other never been connected

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please see diagram of my parents house.
IMG_20230105_181841178.jpg
IMG_20230105_181940651.jpg

There is a 1.5 t&e cable coming from the consumer unit to an outside light which then goes onto a switch wire. This light was working perfectly for years untill the bulbs ran out then it was hit with a ball and broke. It's never been turned on or fixed in years. It's on its own fuse which has been turned off. They just never gotten around to fixing it.

Years ago they where to have a new outside led light installed when getting work done in the house. An electrician came, wired the light in, screwed it to the wall, brought a 1.5 t&e to a new back box then brought another 1.5 t&e to the working outside light but he never connected it either to a switch or even the light. The cables have been sitting there disconnected for years in the back box plus not connected to the light. The electrician never came back because it was a small job then moved to oz.

My parents are wanting a new led light installed where the old broken outside light is that's connected to the consumer unit. They wish for the other Led light to be connected into the circuit if possible and have it working.

They where hoping for another led light on the other side of the house so the 2 new LEDs come on together from one switch if possible.

I have drawn a rough sketch of how it is now. What would need doing to bring it up to regs.

Sponsored Links

So it's basically continuing the loop to the switch instead of the LED.

Is your N going to the N from the loop or connected to both the loop and light N. When I zoom in both seem to be connected. Same as the L connected to the loop and switch and connect the live from the outside light to the switch to turn this off and on.

Sponsored Links
So it's basically continuing the loop to the switch instead of the LED.
In the positions you have - yes.

Is your N going to the N from the loop or connected to both the loop and light N.
All Neutrals are connected together at each location.

When I zoom in both seem to be connected. Same as the L connected to the loop and switch and connect the live from the outside light to the switch to turn this off and on.
What?

How would one connect this light to another light where where you'd want either to come on with a sensor or the same switch to turn on where the arrow pointed.
You will need to use 4 core cable from the switch to the first light and possibly the second depending on what you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back