Outside Light

JP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help.

I have just bought a house and am in the process of fixing all the little things that don't work.

I have found an outside light which has a T&E cable running to a switch which is inside the house. There is then another T&E running elswhere, (premumeably to the lighting curcuit).

I have bought an outside light which requires blue and brown connections.

Can I wire the light with T&E instead as this wiring is in place?
How do I wire the back of the switch?

Help appreciated,

Regards
JP

Sponsored Links
Cant answer your questions:

1. not sure what you mean by can I wire t + e instead of blue/brown.

What wires are at the ceiling?

2. not sure how you wire switch until you tell us what wires are there - wasn't the switch already attached to the wiring?

Need more information about the wiring in each location.

apologies for my poor explanantion, i'll try again.

The light is an outdoor light fitting on an outside wall. The current outside light is old and knackered.

There is currently a t&e from the outside light to the inside switch and a 2nd t&e to what I'm presuming is the lighting circuit (although the wires are behind the switch they are not connected to the back of the switch.

I bought a replacement outside light which instructs you to wire the light using standard brown and blue wires.

Questions:
Have I bought the wrong outside light?
Can I use the cable that runs from outside to the indoor lightswitch?

Hope this is clearer, help is appreciated.

Regards
JP

you said Questions:
Have I bought the wrong outside light?
Can I use the cable that runs from outside to the indoor lightswitch?

if you like the light and it is for external use then no you haven't

not sure what you mean by that.

switch supply of first

but if you are asking can you connect your new light to the twin and earth then yess you can, so longa s you connect black to blue red to brown, and connect the arth terminal in the light to the bare copper wire, after you have put green/yellow sleaving on it.

then you should turn off the mains and connect the light switch , but to help with that need more info.

Sponsored Links
Breezer, you should turn off the electricity anyway, before you start not just to fit the switch!!

i know that, but i forgot to mention it at the top, hang on........... . thats better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back